'88 228:keeping live bait live!

Rickysa

Reaction score
We've been sputtering around for the last 15 years on this boat and have never done any live-bait fishing.( :huh ) If memory serves, there is an area for live bait storage in one of the molded sections...but I'm not sure if a "livewell" was ever offered as an accessory, or if only the wiring exists for an aerator?

Any ideas to update/modify/punt(!) to keep the live bait alive?

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine was right in the middle of the transom, and I thought they all came with that. Is it possible yours has been removed? What occupies that space now?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check out the 1988 catalog on the Grady website (under customer website). From the pictures of the stern of the 228G I do not see a livewell nor is there one listed under standard or optional equipment.

My 88 Overnight has a small well just in front of the motor well and I added an aerator to that. Works ok for "healthy, non delicate bait" in small amounts. For herring I bought a free standing keep alive tank. Think it is about 14 gallons. It is insulated.

Rickysa

Reaction score
There was a "fish box" in the transom that I removed for better access, as we were having recurrent problems in the bilge. In looking at the wiring diagram for this boat, it does show leads labelled "aerator", which lead me to believe it may have been an option (no "aerator" switch on the electrical panel). Rather than try to "upfit" the original stuff, I believe buying a stand-alone unit is the way to go...

Thanks for the responses. :)