88 240 Offshore Fish Box Drains

AquaAddict

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the fish box drains on my 88 240 Offshore. I did a search and couldn't find any information on exact replacements. I tried the forespar drains, but the flange size is not correct. The forespar flange is 1-3/4". The old drain flange is approx 1-15/16". Anybody have any luck with a direct replacement drain? The drain is stamped with "Klein Bklyn NY #401-P. I also sent Grady an e-mail, but no response yet.

richie rich

Reaction score
are you measuring the outside flange or the thru hull size?...the flange maybe different, but the key is the hole size....do a search on this topic...it was posted in the last year several times...guys have found replacements

AquaAddict

Reaction score
I did a search on this topic and the closest anyone has found is the forespar drains. The fish box drains are 1" threads and the hole is plenty big enough for the drain. The problem is that the fiberglass is contoured to fit the 1-15/16" flange size. The forespar 1-3/4" flange does not fill this area enough. Also, the smaller flange size does not allow for enough of a sealant bed underneath of the flange. I have yet to come across a flush type 1" thru hull with a 1-15/16" flange.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
here ya go. I'm sure if you shop around you can get a deal.
I replaced all the thru hulls on my 87 Offshore with perko chrome over bronze . I think all 9 (nine) of them cost me alittle over 300.00 and some serious knucklage. :D It was well worth it when complete though. Once that job was done it was a dry bilge at the end of the day...
I got them thru a place in Norfolk va. But try as I might I cannot remember the name of the place.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/10125-1-t ... braco.html
hope this is some help

AquaAddict

Reaction score
Thanks Rainmaker. I am all set with the thru hulls though. I am replacing the last two, the ones that drain the fish boxes. What I am looking for is the actual plastic drains that are inside the fish boxes.

MILLIGANWA

Reaction score
I found the fittings and they are still available. They still say Klein 401P on the back. It is also available in Bronze. The really good news is that the plastic one is under $4 and the Bronze under $7. They are actually Industrial Sink fittings. The Mfg is Component Hardware. The Plastic one is #CHG-E163010 and the Bronze CHG-E164010. They are a stock item for Sanders Industrial Supply Nashville, Tn 615 256 1212. You have to order the nut and washer separately if needed.

RichieOT

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get at the underside of the fishboxes to reconnect the hoses to the thru hulls? This would be on a 1993 Seafarer 228G. Thanks in advance.

alan campbell

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the fish box drains on my 88 240 Offshore. I did a search and couldn't find any information on exact replacements. I tried the forespar drains, but the flange size is not correct. The forespar flange is 1-3/4". The old drain flange is approx 1-15/16". Anybody have any luck with a direct replacement drain? The drain is stamped with "Klein Bklyn NY #401-P. I also sent Grady an e-mail, but no response yet.

alan campbell

Reaction score
I have a ‘91 offshore and have replaced all overboard drains. That can sink your boat!
In every instance Grady provided a deck access plate however I have had do cut and install a larger inspection plate. Sometimes the plates are rectangular and require a jigsaw. The joys of buying an older boat
Acamp32962@bellsouth.net
Alan

alan campbell

Reaction score
PS: I have a Grady Drive on my 24’ and things are a little different

MrD

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I found the fittings and they are still available. They still say Klein 401P on the back. It is also available in Bronze. The really good news is that the plastic one is under $4 and the Bronze under $7. They are actually Industrial Sink fittings. The Mfg is Component Hardware. The Plastic one is #CHG-E163010 and the Bronze CHG-E164010. They are a stock item for Sanders Industrial Supply Nashville, Tn 615 256 1212. You have to order the nut and washer separately if needed.

Hi Milliganwa, I am replacing all 3 drains in the cooler/fish boxes of my 1988 24' Offshore. And the 2 deck drains in the cockpit helm area. Did you try the Component Hardware drains? Specifically the Bronze ones? I would like to upgrade from the plastic and change the drains to bronze and never have to think about doing this again. Will the bronze drain screw into the plastic elbows that Grady used? I am worried that the bronze fittings may not screw in properly into the plastic elbows and leak over time. Thanks for any help in this as I am working now on replacing all my thru hulls and drains.

MrD

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks Rainmaker. I am all set with the thru hulls though. I am replacing the last two, the ones that drain the fish boxes. What I am looking for is the actual plastic drains that are inside the fish boxes.
Hi AquaAddict, did you ever find the drains. I am replacing all 3 drains in the cooler/fish boxes of my 1988 24' Offshore. And the 2 deck drains in the cockpit helm area. Did you try the Component Hardware drains that Milliganwa suggested? Thanks for any help in this as I am working now on replacing all my thru hulls and drains.