89' 232 Gulfstream tips on draining fuel tanks

dipthenet

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently had to replace my 350 I/O. I am thinking it would be smart to drain the tanks and not run the questionable fuel that was in the boat when purchased. The plan is to fill my vehicles with the fuel that is in the boat and refill the tanks in the spring. The boat is currently stored for the winter. Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

If you feel it's questionable, why would you run it in anything? Get the fuel and tank polished if you feel it is not clean . I would suck some out and let it sit for a few days in a clear glass. That should tell the story.

machinehead

Reaction score
I had to drain my fuel tanks in the same boat due to the gas sitting in there for 2 years untreated by the person I bought it from. What I did was remove the sending units and with a 16' piece of 1/2" clear tubing run out the back of the boat beside the motors I siphoned it out. If your boat has a bracket you will need to run the tubing through one of the scruppers to get the tubing lower. Make sure you have enough cans to collect the gas. Once the fuel is flowing you dont need to stop it just transfer cans. I was lucky I had a friend who did not care about the condition of the fuel and filled his trucks up. Thankfully he did not have any problems running it in his truck. I had over 90 gal to remove, the local dump would take it but since I had so much I would of had to make several trips. They could only take about 20 gal at a time due to local regulations. This way is far cheaper than a polishing deal,I don't have much faith in for gasoline nor would I trust it to run in my motors. Good luck!

dipthenet

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I have the same problem. I bought the boat and the aux tank has fuel that is at least two years old, well i should say a blend, I put some fresh in it but then I had motor problems unrelated to the fuel. The main tank was stored with some in it but I also added stabil. I am thinking of draining at least the aux tank. Thanks again.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
Hi

Just finished draing my tanks because I wantted to take them out and have them cleaned it was an easy job I took off the float units and used a hose in the tank it worked very well,after you get them out pour methyl hydrate inside and swish it around if the tank is out,then use a shop vac to get the remaining gas/hydrate out.I did this and the tanks came out very clean,use a light to see inside,my tanks are manufactured in 92 but are still in great shape it saved me alot of money instead of getting new ones.

richie rich

Reaction score
Billydoos. I know you used a shop vac to suck out the MH and gas out of your tank and nothing happened, but that's a dangerous proposition for sucking out flammable material like that. Those electric motors are not XP rated and any spark from that motor near the fumes from the fuel and it could mean big trouble......you're better off siphoning off as much as you can and either use a spare squeeze bulb and hose right on the bottom to get the rest or let it dry out on its own.