'89 era Seafarer 228 transom seat cushions

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can someone with an 89ish Seafarer with cushions on the rear transom seats (on either side of the livewell) post of few pics. My boat had no cushions at purchase and I'd like to make new ones similar to the originals. Also did Grady put a cushions on the exterior bow seat? Mine has snaps that look like they held a cushion for that area but I have no idea what that cushion looked like. Any pics would be appreciated.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not mine, but here are a couple similar vintage boats online for sale that have some pictures and should give you a few ideas. The bottom seat pads pretty much just look like the kind that you can buy at the store and have some snaps added to them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd have a local shop look at it. I'm sure they can fabricate them quite easily. The materials are standard and most shops have worked on a GW prior.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
You may or may not be interested, but I have two seat backs and two seat cushions that I just bought, brand new and went in a different direction if your interested. I hound a guy parting out a 2005 Seafarer and I bought all of his cushions from him so I never used these. I mounted the seat backs but removed them. They’ve never been in the boat when it was in the water. The only thing is that they are white not beige. Let me know if your interested and I’ll send you a pic.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Can someone with an 89ish Seafarer with cushions on the rear transom seats (on either side of the livewell) post of few pics. My boat had no cushions at purchase and I'd like to make new ones similar to the originals. Also did Grady put a cushions on the exterior bow seat? Mine has snaps that look like they held a cushion for that area but I have no idea what that cushion looked like. Any pics would be appreciated.
There's nothing special to making them look "original" and it won't mean anything for resale, either. It's just a plan cushion - nothing special.

Of more importance, is to make them suit what YOU want. Cut a piece of cardboard to the size you want as a template and then get sewing! Take note to where the snaps are... snaps on a horizontal surface dictates installing a piece of vinyl across the corner underneath so you can reach your fingers in there and snap the snap. Snaps on the front, vertical surface would dictate a flap along the front edge of the cushion to install snaps into.

Same goes for the bow cushion - make it whatever size you want. Make it to fit where the current snaps are or install snaps in different locations and make the cushion bigger/smaller.

Reach out to NorC... if those cushions are the proper size, that seems like a good direction to go. You have to move the snaps on either the cushion or the boat - but that's easy enough.

EDIT: My last paragraph was supposed to say "Reach out TO NorC", not "Reach out NorC"... I fixed it.

Last edited:

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I’d post pictures but everytime I try, it says the file is too large

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There's nothing special to making them look "original" and it won't mean anything for resale, either. It's just a plan cushion - nothing special.

Of more importance, is to make them suit what YOU want. Cut a piece of cardboard to the size you want as a template and then get sewing! Take note to where the snaps are... snaps on a horizontal surface dictates installing a piece of vinyl across the corner underneath so you can reach your fingers in there and snap the snap. Snaps on the front, vertical surface would dictate a flap along the front edge of the cushion to install snaps into.

Same goes for the bow cushion - make it whatever size you want. Make it to fit where the current snaps are or install snaps in different locations and make the cushion bigger/smaller.

Reach out to NorC... if those cushions are the proper size, that seems like a good direction to go. You have to move the snaps on either the cushion or the boat - but that's easy enough.

EDIT: My last paragraph was supposed to say "Reach out TO NorC", not "Reach out NorC"... I fixed it.
DennisG, thanks! I’m running out out of budget on the restore for my Seafarer and have no problem picking up needle and thread. Good advice!