89 Seafarer 98 Johnson - Having power issues

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello, I have just about wrapped up rebuilding my 89 Seafarer and repowered with a new to me 98 johnson.

I am having some doubts on engine height as well as not getting any power from the engine, here is the story:

The entire fuel system is new including the tank all fuel lines, filters water separator and filler tubes. First time out the boat seemed to have a prop issue as I could only get the boat to 4000RPM's and it seemed to bog down quite a bit. I left the boat at a mechanic and he gave everything a tune up and gave it a clean bill of health. He checked compression and everything was in line. He said the WOT timing was way off and he "corrected" it. Also had him replace the 19pitch prop with a 15 pitch (per merc prop selector) He charged me 4 hours labor and that seemed very high

$619 later took the boat out today, the boat would only go 10 knots at WOT and still could only get about 3000 RPM's and the boat just seemed to BOG down under forward load. In reverse the engine revved up fine (but reverse hardly has any load). It idles a bit rough but starts with no hesitation but this thing wont move this boat!

Engine height is correct (so I think, engine is in the lowest holes, cavitation plate is 2 inches above the hull bottom, with the bracket 2 ft back (I heard 1 inch up per foot of setback),
I cant get it any deeper in the water unless i go to to a 30 inch shaft
EngineHeight.jpg

I pulled the plugs and they seem to have oil on them and are far from dry and have some black on them (I am new to boating but not to mechanics) so I am not sure what they should look like. The back of the boat just gets sucked down and the nose goes up but we cant get this on plane. We almost had it once today but it is just not running right. I have confirmed all filters are in the correct direction and the primer bulb is not collapsing.

here is a pic of the plug, they all look the same and are wet
plugexample.jpg

Here are some vids of the engine stalling when throttle is applied it bogs down and when released it stalls.

https://youtu.be/mEPd6L5MK9I

https://youtu.be/PBdhQ1SyqJc

I thing the timing is the issue since it was messed with at the shop. Some folks from another site commented on the possibility the flywheel inner hub has broken loose and moved so thats why the timing could be so far off, but I am not sure as I have not pulled it yet.

Any help would be great.

Ryan

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Run the engine at 1500-2000 rpm( best done in gear in the water having someone else drive). Pull off each plug wire with plug wire pliers one at a time and make sure you hear a strong difference. This will rule out packs/coils/wires/plugs.

Doubt its a fuel issue since you pretty much went through everything. How about the carbs? Did you have them done?

Make sure all your throttle/timing linkage is hooked up correctly and "in sync".

Make sure your electronic choke is not staying closed.

I think you are on point with a timing issue here.