9/6/2010 - point sur with the catalico family

alantani

Reaction score
9/6/2010 - point sur with the catalico family

i've met some tough kids before, but never any as tough as these. that toughness extends to the entire family. you'll see what i mean.

marbel catalico is a pharmacist like me. he actually graduated from UCSF a few years after i did, he lives down the street, his kids are spread out a little more in age than mine, and they even go to the same schools. i've been wanting to get them out fishing this entire summer, but our schedules just did not mesh until this last monday. all during the weekend, there were brisk winds and moderate to heavy seas. the forecast was favorable. monday the winds were supposed to drop off to nothing. figuring the seas would follow, i decided to take a shot at point sur again and get marbel and his family out on the water. note to self - it's better to fish the day before a storm than the day after.

4am. all prepped and ready to go.

1_08_09_10_1_50_42_0.jpeg

the entire family came by the house the night before and was fitted with boots, foul weather gear and pfd's. we got to the monterey launch ramp, got everyone geared up, got the boat into the water and we were underway in no time. meet marbel, davis, julia, helena and jason.

1_08_09_10_1_50_43_1.jpeg

a thick blanket of fog had settled down just outside the harbor. thank goodness for radar. i had jason stand watch to port and davis to starboard. marbel found a comfortable seat and enjoyed the ride. this was the last time he smiled until the end of the day.

1_08_09_10_1_50_44_2.jpeg

we rounded the point and the winds were down, but the seas were still up. not a good sign.

1_08_09_10_1_50_45_3.jpeg

we got down to point sur easily because the chop was at our backs. when we arrived and started fishing, we still had big swells to deal with, and my crew was starting to turn green.

1_08_09_10_1_50_45_4.jpeg

ok, so we were a bit short on smiles, but the kids never once complained. i think they were so stoned on dramamine that it was all they could do to just keep their eyes open.

1_08_09_10_1_51_17_0.jpeg

tough crew, though. they quickly fell into a routine. catch one, hurl one, catch one, hurl two....

1_08_09_10_1_51_18_1.jpeg

catch one, hurl three or four.....

1_08_09_10_1_51_19_2.jpeg

catch a big one!

1_08_09_10_1_51_22_3.jpeg

as predicted, it finally started laying down.

1_08_09_10_1_51_24_4.jpeg

ok, now we can get everyone to smile!

1_08_09_10_1_51_54_0.jpeg

final count, two lingcods, three vermillions, and 30 assorted rockfish. undoubtedly, the kids were on facebook all night. i can just imagine the conversations. "like, dude, i never puked so much in all my life!"

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alan,
Love to read your fishing reports (and of course your in depth how-to-do reel repairs). Your photojournalist skills are pretty darn good as well. I love the comments and the sarcasm. I especially liked "This is the last time he smiled on this trip," and "Note to self, it's better to fish before the storm than after."

I think between reel repairs and your photojournalism work you could retire from your pharmacist anytime.

Keep up the reports!