90’s Marlin looking into?

Eastcoastrhody

Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster here. I’ve been in the market for a marlin. This is to be used mostly for family of 5 (3 young kids), and some fishing, over the next 5 To 10 years.
Last season I had a deal fall through on an 01marlin due to hull delam. Really bummed me out. I found a ‘94 marlin repowered last year and the transom redone. It has a bow thruster and new electronics over the past 2 years too. Cost will be approx 55k. My questions is should I even consider a marlin of this age or should I spend a little more for one that’s after 04? I know the 04 or newer will cost like 2x but i want to buy the right boat and not be penny wise but pound foolish. Is a hull of a 94 going to last or will the maintenance that pops up outweigh the lower cost? I love that the outboards are newer with only 200 hours but my concern is the hull.
obviously I would have a full survey done but I wanted to get some other perspective/thoughts.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Really comes down to budget. If you get anything 06 forward you basically get all upgrades except the most recent. Might be good to see when the no rot wood was introduced (can check with GW for that model). Definitely get a survey.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I was kind of in the same situation, wanted the most I could get for the budget. First of all, someone on the forum encouraged me to push up from a Sailfish to Marlin and for that I am thankful. Found an '05, lower hours, new genset, great shape from a GW Dealer in MD, but I did push my budget and probably best if you can. You will likely have less maintenance issues on newer model, but also depends on how it was cared for and if most pumps and things were updated. Deals are out there, but one thing learned is they go fast, so be ready to negotiate or buy.

Eastcoastrhody

Reaction score
I was kind of in the same situation, wanted the most I could get for the budget. First of all, someone on the forum encouraged me to push up from a Sailfish to Marlin and for that I am thankful. Found an '05, lower hours, new genset, great shape from a GW Dealer in MD, but I did push my budget and probably best if you can. You will likely have less maintenance issues on newer model, but also depends on how it was cared for and if most pumps and things were updated. Deals are out there, but one thing learned is they go fast, so be ready to negotiate or buy.
thanks to you and fishtales for your thoughts. I think you’re both right steering me in that direction. Ideally I think that I would like a marlin in the 06-08 range so I need to just wait until the right one comes along and be ready to pull the trigger. I love a deal but would rather be sure to stay put and buy the right boat.

Last edited:

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Tortuga and I are in the same boat, I’m not sure how long his search was but my search was on for six years looking for what I thought was the perfect marlin. I’m a commercial airline pilot so I can travel on a moments notice anywhere in the U.S. or the world for that matter to look, sea trial, or turn around and walk away, and I did a lot of walking away. In my mind I wanted specifics, 05 or newer, 250’s opposed to 225’s, tuna tower ect.. FINALLY.. my search came to an end last summer in San Diego my perfect boat! Everything I was looking for although the engines had a little higher time than I was looking for they were scoped, had corrosion, electronics were outdated and a complete survey done. After I went to the seller with my list, we came to an agreed price and I pulled it back to Santa Cruz. I’ve never second guessed my purchased, my kids ( I also have 3) love the boat especially the tuna tower. It’s humpback/ blue whale migrating season now out here on the west coast and there is nothing better than watching a blue whale, the largest mammal in the world come up from the depths and take a breath 20ft from the starboard side and watch your kids explode with excitement! I guess what I’m saying is be patience, you WILL find your boat and you WILL not regret it. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Jargon

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Some of these older Marlins have very low hours on the hulls. I bought a 98 with 2 strokes, newer trailer, bow thruster, for 45 last season. Repowered with used 225 HP 4 strokes, for a very reasonable price. I did the work myself so saved a few thousand there.
It is a LOT of boat for the money we have into it; they are extremely versatile and comfortable and get about 1.3 mpg regardless of speed LOL.

Jargon

Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster here. I’ve been in the market for a marlin. This is to be used mostly for family of 5 (3 young kids), and some fishing, over the next 5 To 10 years.
Last season I had a deal fall through on an 01marlin due to hull delam. Really bummed me out. I found a ‘94 marlin repowered last year and the transom redone. It has a bow thruster and new electronics over the past 2 years too. Cost will be approx 55k. My questions is should I even consider a marlin of this age or should I spend a little more for one that’s after 04? I know the 04 or newer will cost like 2x but i want to buy the right boat and not be penny wise but pound foolish. Is a hull of a 94 going to last or will the maintenance that pops up outweigh the lower cost? I love that the outboards are newer with only 200 hours but my concern is the hull.
obviously I would have a full survey done but I wanted to get some other perspective/thoughts.

Here’s one...

https://outerbanks.craigslist.org/boa/d/forest-04-grady-white-300-marlin-new/7029594779.html