'92 204c New F175 repower

Mwills98

Reaction score
First post. Site has been a great resource. Thought I would share some info on my repower. Original owner, old Yama 175 two-stroke was bullet proof but I decided it was time to upgrade with the new lighter weight four. Only had it out once as the weather has in terrible in VA Beach. Still in the breakin period so no WOT figures yet. Cruised nicely around 3400 and 22mph, using about 5 gph with four people in 1-2ft seas. Really liked the smooth shift of the SDS prop. Scuppers are fine. Only about a net 70lb difference with the oil reservoir gone.

Any tips on reducing size of pics appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
That holddown ring on the starboard side in the last picture has a rust streak running down the transom and that indicates moisture in the bolt hole. When you next do your hull tune up work, I would suggest that you unbolt the loop, check for moisture and if OK, rebed the bolts in 5200 or similar and reinstall.

Enjoy your new power-plant and keep us updated.

Mwills98

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Don't know why the glass man didn't mention that when he checked the transom out before the repower. Been like that for a while but will take care of it this weekend.

Mwills98

Reaction score
Right you were. Decided to take the other one out to reseal and the swim platform as well as all had some rust showing but luckily it was all good with not rot in the transom. Just the one stern eye.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,627

Mwills98

Reaction score
Finally got few hours on it and had a chance to open it up on flat water. A little disappointed that it only turned 5400 rpms with the 17 pitch sds prop at about 42mph. Based on Yamaha performance sheets seemed the 17 pitch was the right prop but guess I am going to have to swap out for a 15 now.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
98, I would look to raising your motor a hole or maybe two before switching props. It appears the yam is in the top hole. I am running my F200 i4 on my 208 the third hole from the top and getting 5700 @ WOT. From my home work, it is close enough and I do get great gas milage and quick to plane. I know that 6000 WOT is what we all are seeking but I don't believe I am going to do any damage at 5700. Cheers, trapper

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From the pics they have your motor mounted in the lowest hole...I'd raise it up one hole and see what you get...

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
A little disappointed that it only turned 5400 rpms with the 17 pitch sds prop at about 42mph.
Thats not that bad as folks here running an F200 on the same model overnighter have quoted the same speed.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22309
Checkout trappers post about 3-4 down. He quotes 43mph.
If you read down through the posts 43 seems to be the number.

Mwills98

Reaction score
I checked the cavitation plate while cruising about 30mph and it was under water. When I take it in for the 20 hr checkup, plan to have them move the motor up a hole. Also, spoke with a prop shop and they can take the pitch down to 16. Hope those moves will be enough to get to 5600-5700 and getting the most out of the motor in terms of power and efficiency. Will post an update in a couple weeks after i catch some more fish! Thanks, again for the great observations and advice!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
MWills,Are you running the Reliance SS 17 pitch SDS prop? I was considering having the same prop re pitched and was told by two prop shops that the Yamaha SS props are too brittle to re pitch and there would be a good chance of them cracking and needing to be welded which would be very costly. Just wondered if you or any one else on the site had heard of this. Cheers trapper.

Mwills98

Reaction score
Yes, trapper that is the prop I have. I called the two well known, highly regarded shops in my area and explained it was a yamaha, polished stainless steel, I may have even mentioned reliance series to one of them and neither balked at reworking it, one quote was $125, the other $150-175. We'll see what the story is when I drop it off in a couple weeks.

Mwills98

Reaction score
Wow. Just refueled after three fishing trips. 117 miles, 12hrs and only 32 gallons burned and I like to run pretty hard. Equates to 3.7 mpg or 2.7 gph. Still waiting to hit the 20hr mark to take it in and have the motor moved up two holes and prop tweaked, may get even better.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
MWills. did you get your pitch change done on your Reliance ss props. Just wondering if there was any issues in the re-pitch. Still have not found any one who feels confident in changing mine from 17 to 16 pitch. Cheers, trapper

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Would like some info on that Hardtop, please. Have an OVernighter - thanks.

Congrats on the repower. Saweet

Mwills98

Reaction score
Bigfoot said:

Thanks. Ben dishman at dishman fabrications in Yorktown, va designed and manufactured my hardtop w/ cobra tower, four years ago. Best price I found locally and very pleased with his work. It was under 4k.

Mwills98

Reaction score
Bigfoot said:

Thanks. Ben dishman at dishman fabrications in Yorktown, va designed and manufactured my hardtop w/ cobia tower, four years ago. Best price I found locally and very pleased with his work. It was under 4k. Here's a pic with the removable tower installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 725

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Thank you,

I am in the ATL, that's a bit far - may call him and get more info....thank you

Mwills98

Reaction score
Re: '92 204c New F175 repower, perform update

Had the motor moved up one hole. So it's moutned in the second from the top now. Dealer says they turned 5800 rpms at 46 mph trimmed up 3/4. I was able to turn 5600, at 45 mph with four passengers, full tank and gear. Want to do a test run with a lighter load and I don't remember every running at 3/4 trim on the old 2 stroke? Think the trim meter is calibrated a little different than the old one. Would still appreciate some feedback from other 208 owners on mounting location as I am debating on taking it up one more. Thanks.