'93 Seafarer

Pescadote

Reaction score
It's been a while since I have posted here! Still toying around with the idea of selling my aluminum boat, and I am pretty sure that my next boat will be a GW Seafarer. I live in Oregon, and have been browsing Craigslist nation-wide off and on; don't see that many listed here on the West Coast and the ones that do come up seem to be a lot higher priced than those on the East Coast.

Someone just listed a '93 Seafarer with a 200 HP Yamaha 2 stroke and a 8hp kicker. It has radar and a hard top and seems to be in excellent condition. The owner says he is not sure of the amount of hours on the main, but that the boat spent most of it's life as a ship to shore boat on a large yacht. I haven't gone to look at the boat because it is about 4 hours away, but the pictures appear to show that it is in good shape. Boat has a fresh coat of bottom paint and includes a trailer.

Questions:
* Anything to be aware of in the '93 era boats; wood stringers, etc?
* On older 2 stroke motors, can they hook them up to a machine to check hours as they can with newer four strokes?
* He is asking $25K which seems like an awful lot for a close to 30 year old boat. It's close, which is convenient, but it seems like I can get similar type boats back East for less than half of that price.
* Other factors I should consider?

Thanks!

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Those Yamahas don’t have the technology to plug in for the hours. Since there is bottom paint on it, I would check for corrosion issues on the lower unit and especially the trim unit from sitting in the water. The transom also takes a hit if all the screw holes under the waterline aren’t sealed up correctly. Stringers should be pretty sound.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
25 k? Hmmm, seems a little high.
A few threads around here about the fuel tank replacement and also the removable deck hatch that seems to always have a core issue.
Here is a link to my thread about replacing my fuel tank and having the soft deck hatch re-cored.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boats cost more on the west coast. Just how it is. The location of the Oregon one might make sell slower.
There’s some really good Craigslist search software out there. Not websites actual software you buy. I used 2 different softwares to find my east coast boats but can’t remember the name now.

Craigslist is tricky with the phone numbers when you’re far away. I had to use a VPN also to find my boat.

Pighunter

Reaction score
It's been a while since I have posted here! Still toying around with the idea of selling my aluminum boat, and I am pretty sure that my next boat will be a GW Seafarer. I live in Oregon, and have been browsing Craigslist nation-wide off and on; don't see that many listed here on the West Coast and the ones that do come up seem to be a lot higher priced than those on the East Coast.

Someone just listed a '93 Seafarer with a 200 HP Yamaha 2 stroke and a 8hp kicker. It has radar and a hard top and seems to be in excellent condition. The owner says he is not sure of the amount of hours on the main, but that the boat spent most of it's life as a ship to shore boat on a large yacht. I haven't gone to look at the boat because it is about 4 hours away, but the pictures appear to show that it is in good shape. Boat has a fresh coat of bottom paint and includes a trailer.

Questions:
* Anything to be aware of in the '93 era boats; wood stringers, etc?
* On older 2 stroke motors, can they hook them up to a machine to check hours as they can with newer four strokes?
* He is asking $25K which seems like an awful lot for a close to 30 year old boat. It's close, which is convenient, but it seems like I can get similar type boats back East for less than half of that price.
* Other factors I should consider?

Thanks!
I live on the west coast also. I communicated with the owner of the boat your talking about. It does appear to be very clean. I'm looking everyday also. I also see a lot of cheaper Seafarers on the east coast. (Although not by half) If he doesn't sell it after the shelter in place order is lifted I think I'll go look at it. Good luck

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If you look East it’ll cost around $5-6k to have a company tow a boat to the West Coast. You can have a new trailer made for cheaper out East too. That combined with the greater selection and lower prices might help you find exactly what you’re looking for. Just throwing another option out there.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ditto! $3,500 to go from Virginia to Nevada in 2016.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Cost me $3500 to go 2900 miles 6 months ago. Virginia to Washington state.

Ditto! $3,500 to go from Virginia to Nevada in 2016.

Both got way better deals than me (probably because I had trucking and ocean freight bundled and arranged through a single company).

Sounds like buying East and shipping will get you better value for your money.