94 Adventure 208 fishbox conversion to livewell

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am thinking of adding a pump and making one of my fishboxes into a recirculating livewell.

I was going to look into adding a "t" in the raw water wash-down intake hose and putting a livewell pump inline there and run a line to the box. Then I was going to put a standpipe in the drain in the box.

The boat is still in storage, I dont know if I can access the intake hose or not and install the pump. I really dont want to add another thru hull fitting for this.

Has anyone done this?

Just looking for input or other ideas

thanks

seasick

Reaction score
That may not work. Depending on where in the plumbing, the T is, your raw washdown may pump from the livewell instead of the ocean. If you use a selector valve instead, each will work but only one at a time which may be a pain. In addition, if you forget to switch to raw and try to use the raw, you may cook the pump.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
thats true, good point

unless I can find a one way valve to put in the livewell line, so it only allows flow in one direction.

Dont know if they make that or not for this

thanks

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Our factory install of the livewell is plumbed exactly the way you describe with a check-valve to keep the raw water wash down from pulling water from the livewell.

seasick

Reaction score
OnoEric said:
Our factory install of the livewell is plumbed exactly the way you describe with a check-valve to keep the raw water wash down from pulling water from the livewell.

Kinda of makes sense.
Is there a check valve in the raw water line also? I suppose the raw pump acts as a check valve but if so, wouldn't the livewell pump also act as a checkvalve?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
seasick said:
Kinda of makes sense.
Is there a check valve in the raw water line also? I suppose the raw pump acts as a check valve but if so, wouldn't the livewell pump also act as a checkvalve?

I'm trying to remember the details of the install. The livewell uses a Kodiak centrifugal bait pump mounted on the seacock. Before the pump, but above the ball valve, there is a "T" with a check valve that goes to the washdown pump, which is a Shurflo pump.

So, I think I had the original description backwards. The livewell pump has no check valve in it's line. There is a check valve on the raw water washdown before the pump which keeps the livewell pump from sucking air when the washdown pump is off. When the washdown pump is on, it's going to suck water from the path of least resistance. Sucking water against a 700 GPH livewell pump is more difficult that pulling water from the thru-hull. Maybe the flow to the livewell is reduced a little bit while the washdown pump is on, but as long as each pump has a continuous supply of water, they should both pump.

The only question I have now is when the livewell is off, why doesn't the washdown pump suck air? My only guess is because all of this plumbing is at or below the water line, it stays primed.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mount a Kodiak in front of the motor - will work a helluva lot better. You can use your fish boxes for, well, FISH! And storage, or an icebox. They are well insulated.

No offense to those that use them, especially Eric :wink: , but the factory fishbox/livewell setup doesn't keep bait alive, its too hard to get them out of there, and the seal on top never seals well enough to prevent sloshing out when going on plane.

Michigan Brian

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
great replies

What I was going to use it for was just fish, not bait. I dont really use much live bait, and I have a aerated bait bucket that works fine for when I do use it.

I still think my big problem is going to be gaining access to the pump. Im big, its small lol.

Not sure what I am going to do yet, the boat will be out of storage soon so I can see what my options are.

I may just forget it and keep my catch on ice like I have been doing

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
CJBROWN said:
No offense to those that use them, especially Eric :wink: , but the factory fishbox/livewell setup doesn't keep bait alive, its too hard to get them out of there, and the seal on top never seals well enough to prevent sloshing out when going on plane.

No offense taken, Chris. :wink: We only use our factory livewell for macs, keeping legal bass alive, and to bleed out tuna. For bait we use the Kodiak :D

Brian, good luck with the project if you decide to do it. I empathize with trying to work in that bilge. I'm not that big and it's still small. And it seems my arms are never quite long enough :D