'95 268 Islander

'84_241_Offshore

Reaction score
Just bought a '95 268 Islander w/ twin '95 Johnson 175's.
Wasn't able to perform a sea trial, did compression test Port engine ranged from 80 to 95; Sbd engine ranged from 95 to 115.

Need to know the weight with or without the engines. The brochure says 4660 w/o the engines. Have gotten conflicting opinions.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Does your new boat have a hard top, water heater or other options? I assume you are planning on repowering? The 4660 is bone dry with no options. The options add weight accordingly but 4660 is a good place to start. Do you have access to a trailer and scale?

'84_241_Offshore

Reaction score
So the 4660 is w/o engines?
Don't plan on empowering right away.
Has a hardtop.....no hot water heater.

'84_241_Offshore

Reaction score
Thanks. So I should be looking at a 6000lb capacity trailer minimum.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks. So I should be looking at a 6000lb capacity trailer minimum.

Sure, without engines.

Add:
- engines
- 2-stroke oil if applicable
- oil in the sumps if 4-stroke
- hardtop
- fuel
- water
- anchor, chain & rode
- mooring lines
- fenders
- safety equipment
- electronics
- fishing gear, etc

and it will crush your 6000# trailer.

'84_241_Offshore

Reaction score
I said at a minimum. I only use it to launch a pull out at the end of the season and store. What would you recommend? 7300lbs?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you do the math and add up all the things that OCNSLR kindly listed for you, what weight do you get? Post that and then we give a more accurate recommendation. FYI, the way you wrote "So I should be looking at a 6000lb capacity trailer minimum"... I, too, thought you meant that 6K would be OK and just fine. What you have in your mind, and what you write in a forum, are two different things and can be perceived different ways by others.

How far do you have to travel to launch each season? I have a properly sized trailer for my boat, but it is used for storage and seasonal launch/retrieval only. I go a very short distance... all back roads... in a 'back road' type of town. I pulled the brakes off completely and put a non-braking coupler on there. Otherwise, I'd be having brakes issues all the time. If I ever take it further, I can put things back on.