'96 228 electronics options

trashpad

Reaction score
Hello All,

I need to update my GPS but not sure how to mount the new one. Looking at the Simrad Go7. There is not much room in the compartment but I think I can get it in there. I was thinking of mounting it flush on the cover so I could still open it up and not loose the storage. What have you done?

1596029908617.png

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I lost both sets of plexi for a different look. Used upper to draw a template for new cover.

20200303_134508.jpg

trashpad

Reaction score
glacierbaze Anything is possible. I do like using that tray under the plexi to store small items though.

leeccoll I love the modern look. Do you think I could make the upper panel to flush mount the GPS but still use the hinge hardware to access for storage?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Split the upper compartment if you’re going with the Simrad you mentioned and make storage on one side; not sure how the cabling on the flush mounted fishfinder will like being hinged up constantly. I’d reconfigure the bottom compartment as well to move the gauges to one side and give a little better storage. You can consider a Ram Mount for the fishfinder if you are using it a lot; it can bring it in easier reach depending on how you have your seating configured.

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
6F6B6A39-615F-4D5B-BBFA-90474B244EBB.jpegI’m not sure if your year has the same configuration. But I stuffed a 9” and 7” furuno. in my box. The bigger electronics take a lot less space with all the touch screen and edge to edge tech out now.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've gotten rid of the door on the last 5 or 6 GWs I've owned. Always went flush mount. Even with the best of springs and hinges, the door tends to flop down when you hit a wake.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
View attachment 15014I’m not sure if your year has the same configuration. But I stuffed a 9” and 7” furuno. in my box. The bigger electronics take a lot less space with all the touch screen and edge to edge tech out now.

Didn’t think you could fit a 9in in there. What year is your 228? If you changed your mind in the future, could you still flush mount?

I’m looking to replace my combo in the fall. Why did you go with two units?

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Didn’t think you could fit a 9in in there. What year is your 228? If you changed your mind in the future, could you still flush mount?

I’m looking to replace my combo in the fall. Why did you go with two units?
My 228 is a 2002. I could definitely flush mount at some point witch was my plan. I’m happy with how the electronics are in the box and have no plans to change it at this time. The door flopping around isn’t an issue for me if you have it open 90 degrees from the closed position. I went with two screens so I could have one for a chart plotter and one for a fish finder without a split screen.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
91776A25-99ED-4D20-84F9-0C0EBFFA06E3.jpegThis is how I did mine. And no it does not block my vision and I’m 6’2. I like the 9” screen for the fish finder, I also like to be able to see it while I fish from the stern. Same with chart plotter. Ez for me to quickly mark a spot. Just a idea for you

Crbomberger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 228 is a 2002. I could definitely flush mount at some point witch was my plan. I’m happy with how the electronics are in the box and have no plans to change it at this time. The door flopping around isn’t an issue for me if you have it open 90 degrees from the closed position. I went with two screens so I could have one for a chart plotter and one for a fish finder without a split screen.
View attachment 15044This is how I did mine. And no it does not block my vision and I’m 6’2. I like the 9” screen for the fish finder, I also like to be able to see it while I fish from the stern. Same with chart plotter. Ez for me to quickly mark a spot. Just a idea for you
bloodweiser, that’s a great set up I like it. I like the two screen set up when I go into an unfamilular harbor or area. Zoom one in and one out.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They are raymarine units. Chart plotter is an axiom 7” and fish finder I use as a dedicated fish finder and it’s a hv9.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

I am thinking of doing the same but may do the one unit now and then see in the future if I want the second. I’m not really sure how I will use the new one.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
View attachment 15044This is how I did mine. And no it does not block my vision and I’m 6’2. I like the 9” screen for the fish finder, I also like to be able to see it while I fish from the stern. Same with chart plotter. Ez for me to quickly mark a spot. Just a idea for you

Interesting setup. Do you have the backs protected in case you get rain or splashed? How do you find viewing it when you are fishing out back? Any concerns with theft?

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No worries on theft the boat is kept on my isolated home property. No water splashes as i always have the front and sides up.

i guess if theft is an issue you could remove the displays

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No worries on theft the boat is kept on my isolated home property. No water splashes as i always have the front and sides up.

i guess if theft is an issue you could remove the displays

Agreed...Just hate messing with the pins to remove it as they may loosen over time. Your setup got me rethinking my approach. I’ll need to measure and make sure it’s not in my line of site with the overhead.

Still not sure what brand I want to go with. The equipment on my boat is 12-15 yrs old and not sure if I can leverage any of the ancillary equipment on my hardtop for GPS and Radar. Right now, I have Raymarine, Garmin and Furuno

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve never used raymarine before , but have to say I like it. Went to a big fishing show and a vendor had a big display of everyone’s stuff. I think they are all good. But I liked the 1.2mghz transducer especially for the depths I fish .