'96 27 Sailfish - Dumb Question

GW96

Reaction score
Had the boat pulled out for a few hours last week to have a new transducer installed and was looking around the bottom and cannot find where the raw water intake is for the head.

Boat is new to me this season so it's the first time I've looked for it....was just looking out of curiosity and because I'll need to use it for pulling anti-freeze in when winterizing.

Anyone know? I'm sure I overlooked it.

Thanks.

River Rat

Reaction score
Check the round access hatch on the floor in the cabin. On our 95 there are two seacocks....one for the head intake and one for the overboard discharge (which should be closed unless you're offshore). Can't remember which side (port vs stbd)is the intake though

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I believe the starboard is the intake and port is the overboard .

GW96

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll take a look.

Anyone ever pull antifreeze up through there for winterizing the head or does that part drain out sufficiently when the boat is out of the water?

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I leave all the valves open, drain the tank empty and pour in a gallon of the anti-freeze and hit the discharge button for a few seconds until the pink comes out. Never an issue, I had a 96 Sailfish and now a Marlin and been doing that since 96 in both boats and never an issue. I am also on Long Island.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady installs 2 3/4" seacocks for the head. One for intake, the other for pumpout from macerator tank. I also just empty tank, flush well with fresh water and then pour in a bottle of vegatable oil for pump lubrication and also for seacock valves and antifreeze and pump out until I see pink.
The seacocks are under the cabin deck plate you pop out and the one closest to the head is the intake at least in my case and likely same as yours.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
then pour in a bottle of vegatable oil for pump lubrication and also for seacock valves

This is the first I've heard of the vegetable oil trick. I think I'll try it - did it extend the life of your pump do you think?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am told it helps, but mine is still original and sticks sometimes, so hoping to help it go a little longer. Might just replace it this winter as a project. When it sticks, I tap on the top with a dead blow hammer and she is good to go again for a while.