96" Rhodan on Grady 336 Canyon

glassman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I have a fishing guide that put a Rhodan on his boat a few years ago and he told me it was the best investment he ever made. He said "I am throwing my anchor away". Unfortunately he passed away months after his install and I never had the opportunity to fish with him to see how good this Rhodan GPS anchor was. However, it got me interested. I live in the Sarasota FL area, which is where Rhodan is based, I visited their plant and talked to them about my 336 and adding on....BUT...at that time the longest shaft they had was 84" and the thought was that if there was anything other than a flat sea, the motor would spend time out of the water and not hold position. BUT...wanting to ditch my anchor, I kept watching. Last year in May 2020 I heard Rhodan had introduced a 96"...YIPPEE!!!! Knowing this I talked to my Grady Dealers (Longboat Key and Key West). When I talked to them, they thought I was NUTS..."It will never work"...:(:(:( At the time I had a lot going on personally thus I listened and did not pursue...Still had interest...I start hearing stories and seeing other boats similar to mine with trolling motors on their bows...Got me interested....Talk to Grady Dealers again "I am seeing - are you doing"...and I am still getting the look that I was NUTS. Well it all changed when a good friend of mine put one on his 32/0 SeaVee, said it worked amazing - he installed himself, thus following his lead, bought the Rhodan and installed...we used a 36V Lithium battery and their charger. I am currently keeping my boat in Key West. We gathered all our supplies and before mini season headed down and did the install. We were totally prepared...we had an aluminum mounting plate machined and powder coated in a color close to that of the Grady Hull. It Took my crew about 6-7 hours from start to finish. It was not cheap. BUT...

IT WORKS AMAZING!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_103533.JPG
    IMG_20210722_103533.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20210722_114455.JPG
    IMG_20210722_114455.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20210726_085925.JPG
    IMG_20210726_085925.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210723_101216.JPG
    IMG_20210723_101216.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 119

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I have a fishing guide that put a Rhodan on his boat a few years ago and he told me it was the best investment he ever made. He said "I am throwing my anchor away". Unfortunately he passed away months after his install and I never had the opportunity to fish with him to see how good this Rhodan GPS anchor was. However, it got me interested. I live in the Sarasota FL area, which is where Rhodan is based, I visited their plant and talked to them about my 336 and adding on....BUT...at that time the longest shaft they had was 84" and the thought was that if there was anything other than a flat sea, the motor would spend time out of the water and not hold position. BUT...wanting to ditch my anchor, I kept watching. Last year in May 2020 I heard Rhodan had introduced a 96"...YIPPEE!!!! Knowing this I talked to my Grady Dealers (Longboat Key and Key West). When I talked to them, they thought I was NUTS..."It will never work"...:(:(:( At the time I had a lot going on personally thus I listened and did not pursue...Still had interest...I start hearing stories and seeing other boats similar to mine with trolling motors on their bows...Got me interested....Talk to Grady Dealers again "I am seeing - are you doing"...and I am still getting the look that I was NUTS. Well it all changed when a good friend of mine put one on his 32/0 SeaVee, said it worked amazing - he installed himself, thus following his lead, bought the Rhodan and installed...we used a 36V Lithium battery and their charger. I am currently keeping my boat in Key West. We gathered all our supplies and before mini season headed down and did the install. We were totally prepared...we had an aluminum mounting plate machined and powder coated in a color close to that of the Grady Hull. It Took my crew about 6-7 hours from start to finish. It was not cheap. BUT...

IT WORKS AMAZING!!!!
I just stumbled onto this post.... I am also a Canyon 336 owner and do a lot of bottom fishing in the Gulf. I end up drifting more often than anchoring because getting anchored up on "the spot" is always a challenge with competing winds and currents.

Now that you have had the Rhodan installed on your 336 for a year or so on your 336, are you still happy with the performance? Would you buy it again if you had a new 336?

Any other 336 owners taken the plunge on the 96" Rhodan? If so, how is it working out for you?

glassman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I am very happy with the Rhodan. It works well in 2 foot or less conditions. Here is a photo from my last trip out. This is 100 miles from Key West North of Dry Tortugas. I also fish the gulf out off Cortez, FL.

Attachments

• Tuna trip 2022.jpg
    Tuna trip 2022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I know it’s not as big but my 96 holds great in waves. With all the windows in it gets push around a bit in high winds. But pretty much holds.

was in 4-5 for ground swell off a reef in the Abacos this summer and we were locked on a spot.

Reactions: PlannedOutage

Mwcarter41

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236

IT WORKS AMAZING!!!!
Where did you get your stabilizer arm that clamps onto the rail instead of mounting?
Thanks
Mike

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Mine was about $7k. With all mounts deck plate 36v Luthium, installation.