'97 Gulfstream Livewell pump replacement

grady23

Reaction score
Hi folks -- I'm in the process of trying to replace my Rule live well pump. The pump is mounted on a straight-thru Sea-cock and unfortunately is NOT the later model that I can just change out the motor cartridge. I purchased a new 403STC that has a 4 inch stem. In trying to remove the old pump, I've put quite a bit of pressure on it but it does not want to move. This thing is WAY down in the bilge and I can't see or feel a retainer nut. Does anyone know how this pump is mounted? The other issue is the new stem is so long that motor housing hits the primer pump. I may need to install a double 90 hook-up to offset the connection.
Anyone that's done this -- I'd really appreciate some suggestions.
THANKS!

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My rule pump was screwed into the brass shutoff valve and grady or someone at a later date had used 5200 instead of teflon tape or pipejoint putty. I had to replace the brass shutoff valve and the pump on my voyager. :(

grady23

Reaction score
GW Voyager-- Thanks for the post. I've gotten done!! When ya got plumbing stuff to fix CALL A PLUMBER. A great friend of mine came by today and helped me with getting the old pump out. Him being 6'2" and me only 5'9"-- He could reach down in the abyss much better than I. BTW -- He's a master plumber and is used to plastic and brass being STUCK! Turns out it was just screwed in to the brass sea-cock and was real tight after being there for 14 years. We had to cut off about 2.5 inches to get the base to clear. Installed with only using pipe dope but it's PLENTY tight. I hope this improves my survival rate on my live baits. Head to Harker's Island for a week of King Mac fishing for a tournament. We plan to take a few days extra just for some wreck and maybe offshore stuff also.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good to hear you made out better than I did! I could not save my shut off valve. I even tried to burn it out and couldn't without destroying the valve.
Good luck this weekend. Maybe you will get several Mac attacks.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Marlin a couple weeks ago... ended up taking the floor section up so I could get in there to put some umph into unscrewing it... I used a pipe wrench to turn the pump... they didn't have to be replaced, but while I was in there, I replaced all the water hoses and clamps just to be safe...

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
grady23 said:
GW Voyager-- Thanks for the post. I've gotten done!! When ya got plumbing stuff to fix CALL A PLUMBER. A great friend of mine came by today and helped me with getting the old pump out. Him being 6'2" and me only 5'9"-- He could reach down in the abyss much better than I. BTW -- He's a master plumber and is used to plastic and brass being STUCK! Turns out it was just screwed in to the brass sea-cock and was real tight after being there for 14 years. We had to cut off about 2.5 inches to get the base to clear. Installed with only using pipe dope but it's PLENTY tight. I hope this improves my survival rate on my live baits. Head to Harker's Island for a week of King Mac fishing for a tournament. We plan to take a few days extra just for some wreck and maybe offshore stuff also.

I found that an 1,100gal Rule pump would keep my baits in better condition than the 800gal one I had. Just food for thought for when the pump needs to be replaced again. Good luck.

grady23

Reaction score
I thought about going the 1100 GPH route, but it would require changing all the outlet connection to 1" or sizing down the connection to use the existing 3/4" stuff. That just didn't make sense. The 800 GPH did real well on my trip down to Cape Lookout! It kept baits alive all day despite the pounding they took on 2 of the 5 days.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Grady23,

I know what you mean about the changing of the fittings but that is just what I did to perform the switch over.

According to the spec sheet for your pump, the true GPH at a 3.3ft head is only 490gals not 800GPH listed on the pump. Conversely the 1,100GPH pump will only put out 710gals. Food for thought.

Glad to hear the bait did well and hope the fishes appreciated it as well.

Good luck.