98 208 TWO SATELLITE ANTENNA QUESTIONS

steveditt

Reaction score
Installed a Garmin 740 s in the electronics’ compartment anyone have experience with this unit without the external GPS antenna inside a compartment, installing XM adapter kit which has a small satellite antenna which I plan on installing on the dash just inside the windshield I believe the canvas top will not interfere with the signal . I’m working on the boat under a winter tarp with no batteries don’t want to make anything permanent . Thanks

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last year I flush mounted two 700 series Garmins in Seafarer. One is used primarily as chart plotter/radar and the other for sonar. I already had a Garmin external antenna which I connected to the chart plotter/radar unit. The sonar unit doesn't have an external antenna and it works just fine. My boat also has a hardtop so you shouldn't have a problem with a canvas top but if you do adding an external antenna shouldn't be a big problem.

seasick

Reaction score
My HDS works fine in the 208's ectronics box on internal antenna.
I suspect that the XM antenna on top of the box should work OK too, that is where my Garmin antenna is. ( I have soft top also)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I had my 205, I installed both the Sat and GPS antennas on top of the helm. No issues at all with either the windshield or the bimini, or with them being next to each other for that matter.

S3500024 by parthery, on Flickr

steveditt

Reaction score
Waiting to get the winter tarp off ,but considered running both where the horn wire is if I have to.Thanks for the ideas .