98 272 Sailfish Remote Oil Tanks

Jitrag

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello all!

I wanted to see if the following has been encountered before. This boat is new to me and I noticed on the gauge that the upside down triangle is pointing to the oil can/image on the gauge. Now......I am not getting any low oil alarms which I believe is triggered by the smaller oil tank located on the side of each engine that will put the specific engine into limp mode. However, when I read the manual this triangle pointing to the oil can indicates either a clogged remote oil tank filter or low oil in either the remote tank or engine side oil tank. The remote oil tank is full and the engine oil tank is just beneath the top mark. So.....there is plenty of oil in both places. So, I was in the process of replacing the remote oil tank filters and notice that only one of the two remote tanks has a sensor in it. The remote oil tank furthest aft which is the port engine tank does not have a sensor. Thus, this probably explains why the port engine gauge triangle is pointing to green indicating that no oil refilling is necessary?

Before, I go replacing the starboard remote oil tank sensor, should there be one in the port side? is it common practice to have one sensor for two separate remote oil tanks?

Thanks in advance!

John

Attachments

• 272 Sailfish Yamaha gauge.jpg
    272 Sailfish Yamaha gauge.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Outboard Manual.jpg
    Outboard Manual.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

seasick

Reaction score
First of all, the yellow indication is an alarm technically. Low oil in the remote along with normal oil in the main generates yellow alarm. Only low oil in the main, generates a red alarm and limp mode.
I would think you would have a sensor in both tanks. Is there a connector for the sensor?
I guess other than the alarm, there is no harm not having the sensor. If the main tank goes low, the red alarm and limp mode will activate. Of course you would need to add oil either to the main tank or assuming the pump is working, the remote tank

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
This means that the port tank oil level is in the safe zone. The starboard tank needs oil added to it before the audible alarm starts to sound. It's a very short trip from yellow to red. Ask me how I know. Each tank holds roughly 3 gals of oil. And yes, each remote tank should have a sensor wire coming out of the top of the tank.

seasick

Reaction score
When the remote is empty, the oil level in the main tank lowers of course as it is used up. I forget exactly what that tank holds but it is about a quart plus a bit. The oil injection system on SX motors mixes oil to gas in difference rations based on the throttle position. At idle it may mix at 100:1 and at WOT, it might be more like 40:1. So using the conservative ration of 50:1, a quart of oil would get used up when you burn about 12 gallons of gas before the red alarm is triggered.
My SX burns about 12 gallons an hour at cruising speed so I could go for an hour on the oil in the main tank. Of course, I wouldn't try to do that but it helps to know.