'98 F26 Tigercat Purchase

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PO had 2-boats and this was the red-headed stepchild. Hasn't been used in 3-years and not maintained very well with 920hrs. Sea trial went well boat ran like a raped ape and topped out at 5200 RPM. Then we went over and got the Yami tech and took him out. At the dock with motors idling he reported stbd motor stats stuck open and only got 90 deg on his thermo thingy also had a metalic knock, and the carbs were leaking fuel like crazy. Port motor was damp/wet with sea water and carbs were also leaking. With Tech onboard both engines tached up to 5200 but when he asked the owner to do a hole shot, port motor fell on it's face. Back at the marina pulled boat and tech ran compression test, everything was within spec. Lower unit oil very dirty but no water. Trim tilt good. Agreeded to pay marina $600/engine to rebuild carbs. Tech reported heavy carbon build up and suggested decarboning, I'm aready sore in the a$$ from the carb rebuild cost and decide to do that myself. Owner reported never decarboning since he had the boat, 2002. Owner dropped price $1000. Motors need stats, PRV, plugs, seafoam shock decarboning procedure. Also needs cooling system flush; anybody recommed a proven procedure? That vinegar flush out? Someone mentioned knock could be carbon build up, got my doubts about that. Got the boat for low $20's and the trailer is only 3-years old and in great shape. Hate to think about powerheads, think these girls can be saved?