98 Grady 208 repowered Etec 150HP HO

steveditt

Reaction score
Replaced 175 HP 1998 Yamaha Saltwater Series carbureted engine with 150 HP HO Evinrude Etec G 1,Yamaha was the best engine I have ever owned which was five years ,replaced not because of problems just age not the engine but mine .Dealer sold Mercury ,Yamaha and Evinrude discussed options . The HO is rated 165 HP lightest engine same as the 98 engine, 3 years no maintenance ,simplicity of 2 stroke with power on every stroke ,warranty .Had the engine for a few months very pleased ,quicker hole shot ,top speed 40 MPH Yamaha was 32 MPH , fuel savings is substantial Yamaha used 6-7 gallons each fishing trip same 9 trips averaging 3.75 gallons traveling faster as the Etec Sweet spot is between 3500 25 MPH and 4000 30 MPH .Yamaha was tested prior to selling excellent compression replaced seals in lower unit and sold privately $3k . Dealer installed Icon gauges, hydraulic steering and new controls. Next season will install Bennett Trim tabs with Pro Auto Trim for passenger movement and overall trimming. Metallic graphite color makes it a little different too .

Bread

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Good Luck with it!

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Solid choice for sure! A local harbor patrol fleet out here on Catalina Island has been gradually converting each patrol boat over from Volvo Penta I/O to 150 HP Evinrude Etec G1s, and they’re putting thousands and thousands and thousands of hours on them. By now other island harbor patrols have been following suit. The 150 HO was my dream motor for years and I still stop-and-stare when I see them… They look so good on Grady White's. All the best out there!

steveditt

Reaction score
Not much info available for repowering the 208 with Etec could be helpful especially propeller selection ,I would certainly think the standard 150 HP G1 would perform well not sure what effect 15 additional HP makes having the HO model I have the standard M2 lower unit . Of course soon as I say I've repowered I'm asked you got a four stroke right . Someone has a four stroke Yamaha 150 in my marina on an older 208 it sits a few inches lower would be nice to take a ride and see how it performs .You certainly never smell or see any smoke from these Etec's.