'98 Sailfish Something running after shutdown

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've only had the boat for 8-months and most of them have been on a trailer. No she's in the water and I hear something running for about 3-4 seconds after the motors are shut down. It is not the fuel pumps on the motor and sounds like it's amidships. Any ideas??

bhemi

Reaction score
Try shutting off your 12 volt main breaker before you shut off the engines. Amidships I was thinking bilge pump but that makes no sense at all. Is it a mechanical sound? Maybe it's air being sucked into your fuel tanks as the pressure equalizes after you shut it down. Listen at the fuel fill vent as you have someone shut it off.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is it your automatic trim motors running to bring up the trim tabs? That is what I hear after shutting of my engines.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Tucker,

DO NOT turn off your battery switch or 12 volt breaker with the engines running. You can damage the alternators, rectifiers and engine if you do that.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Could be trim motors. It does it with the tabs fully retracted at the dock though. Know that is an option with Bennett, not sure if the Sailfish came stock with that or the PO added it. Definately something mechanical, electric motor sound. Only way to tell for sure is to remove the aft cabin access panel.