98+ transom stringer issues

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have been looking for a 98+ Grady because all have been constructed with XL plywood. I know this does not 100% guarantee no structural issues, but to me it gives great piece of mind. With that said, do any of you know of owners that have had 98+ boats with transom or stringer issues? If so, why?

Also if the XL wood is wet, can it simply be dried and sealed as long as it has not delaminated?

Thanks

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, XL plywood if is not FULLY encapsulated with resin it WILL rot if water gets to it. Grady is known of drilling holes for wires, etc, and not seal the hole with resin. Also, any added items like transducers, trim tabs, etc, screws have to be sealed with 4200, not silicone. If you looking to buy used, check to see if there is any problems like that. Also, very important, the plastic or aluminum cap by the engine cut out, wood has to be dry there and also the engine screw holes. That said, i am restoring an old Formula now and i am using marine meranti 1088 BS, this is good stuff, very strong but heavy and all the holes are drilled oversized and filled with thickened epoxy.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wet wood will swell when frozen and delaminate from the glass.

As far as drying wood out, the stringer grid is comprised of a core (plywood) glassed fully on both sides and tabbed to hull on bottom. So how does one intend to dry it out when water gets between the two glass skins and heads down with gravity, then moves laterally ?

And some sections of the grid can be very tall, more than 1.5 feet depending on model.

The deck tank covers and bilge covers form a seam and are actually screwed into the tops of the stringers and bulkheads. So it doesn't take much to imagine what happens when the seam leaks or screw(s) leak.

Just about any horizontal surface on the boat where you find screws, they are screwed into wood core under the glass.

At the transom, the mounting holes for the motor bolts plus many more penetrate the core. Larger Gradys have side hulls cored with balsa, so the thru hulls and rub rails screwed have to be sealed, etc.

Have a boat rebuilder or surveyor check it out, only go with someone recommended in your area and interview to determine experience with Gradys; what was found, etc. If nothing was ever found bad other than a busted spring hatch holder or the like, interview next guy. Never accept recommendation from boat dealer or broker selling.

Same applies to all other boat brands.
Not sure about BWs as thy have foamed filled glass stringers, but coring is coring and must be sealed from contact with water.

And the older the boat, the more so.

Good luck.