'99 272 Sailfish Fuel Sending Units

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents, The unit on my aux tank reads full all the time, and the tank's bone dry. Searching tells me Wema is the best replacement; think I'll do both tanks. When converting, do I just measure the length of the stocker and buy the Wema's exact same length? Assuming the cable ends are bare. Is it best to just cut off the old harnes and splice in with butt connectors? Don't see any markings on the stockers, are the Wema's same ohms?
While searching I saw a post about the Sailfish fuel directional valves. It said do not use the handle to determine what tank you drawing from. Read the direction arrow on the valve. Not sure what this means can someone elaborate? Think I'm doing it wrong. The valves are labeled port stb and I use the pointer on the handle.

DaleH

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Gents, The unit on my aux tank reads full all the time, and the tank's bone dry. Searching tells me Wema is the best replacement; think I'll do both tanks. When converting, do I just measure the length of the stocker and buy the Wema's exact same length? Assuming the cable ends are bare. Is it best to just cut off the old harnes and splice in with butt connectors? Don't see any markings on the stockers, are the Wema's same ohms?
While searching I saw a post about the Sailfish fuel directional valves. It said do not use the handle to determine what tank you drawing from. Read the direction arrow on the valve. Not sure what this means can someone elaborate? Think I'm doing it wrong. The valves are labeled port stb and I use the pointer on the handle.
REPLACING: Wema units are the BEST there is! Measure your tank, as WEMA will send you one 1" shorter than the depth inside the tank.

OHMS: See Teleflex's FAQ page for troubleshooting, has info on their gauges, as most marine fuel gauges work on the principle where 240 ohms = empty, 100 ohms = 1/2-tank, and 33 ohms = full tank. See: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/support-2 ... mentation/

WIRING: If old, I'd run new wires to ensure no corrosion built-up inside. I coat all connections with 3M 5200 before entombing then in adhesive-lined heatshrink.

VALVE: Sounds like they're saying the handle points the OPPOSITE tank it's drawing from, i.e., handle to Port, then you're drawing from the Starboard tank, as the pointer on the lever is pointing to the Starboard on the manifold.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been reading up on the fuel mgt system and it said the sending units needed to be mounted horizontal. My are mounted at a 45 deg angle. Think I remount them the right way. Maybe that has something to do with why one of my units isn't working. Anybody else have this problem?

DaleH

Reaction score
Really, horizontal? All of mine are mounted vertically. I find vibration is the biggest culprit, besides not installing after the f/w filter, so mine are wrapped in closed-cell foam that is tie-wrapped to the transom to eliminate/minimize any vibration. One hull is a '92 and the other hull is a '96, so could be different OEM units back then. Vertical mounting also usually improves low fuel flow performance, because it assists in clearing air bubbles from the internal xducer turbine. When in doubt, check your manual.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My FM is acting like it's single engine. The gauge is only reading stbd sending unit. It doesn't even see the port side. Took the unit apart last night and cleaned the clear "eyes". A little dirty but not too bad. Double checked the installation manual for the FM and it definately says to mount them horizontal, can forward the page if you shoot me your email address. The senders even have an arrow indicating mounting direction. If you got units with 3-screws you may have obsoleted sending units. There was a recall and you may be able to get new ones free. Yea, mine were plumbed incorrectly. I bypassed the primer pumps and installed bulbs. The primer pumps were in front of the FM senders. According to the instructions the primer bulbs are suppose to be last. Fuel/Water Sep - Fuel Mgt Senders - Primer Bulb - Motor.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tucker, alternately, you can email Grady White customer service and they will give you the lengths of the senders of you boat model and year, and state that to WEMA.
Then you replace at the same time install.
If you do so, leave tank length blank as it doesn't matter with WEMA.

WEMA has pigtail leads so be sure to waterpoof splices. No exposed electrical exists.
I give thatr area a shot of T9 or one of those other ones, its stays damp down there. Replace O rings on deck plates and clean both O ring grooves, not good to have any water dripping down there.

DaleH

Reaction score
FYI, checked my manuals, all my fuel xducers need to be installed vertically. Must be different OEM units (Navman I assume).