'99 272 Sailfish Gunnels

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents,
Mounting Poly-Planar MA9020 speakers under my gunnels. The speakers get so-so reviews but I like the flanged housing that mounts flush. Mounting directly under my gunnels and don't want to drill too deep. Does anyone know the thickness of the gunnels on a Sailfish??

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had a 21' Sea Ray years ago where I added some flush-mount, rod holders into the gunwales. I remember drilling in... and in... and in... it was over 3" thick! In a 21' boat! I don't know how thick it is on your boat, but I'd surprised if it was thin.

Do you have rod holders mounted in there, already? Can you see the bottom of the rod holder where it exits the bottom side of the gunwale?? If so, just do some mathematical subtraction, comparing the total length of the rod holder, to what sticks below the gunwale... be sure to take into account the angle of the rod holder (if it isn't straight).

Or, if you have a rod holder, but can't see the bottom, pull it out and then you can easily measure the thickness.

If you don't have rod holders, but can still find the bottom of the gunwale, you can still figure it out by comparing the vertical section of the gunwale to the bottom of the gunwale to the top of the gunwale.

Assuming you can see the bottom of the gunwale, you could just back out a single screw from something installed into/onto it (take into account if the screw protrudes through the bottom of the gunwale).

freddy063

Reaction score
I'm not understanding what your asking? where are you mounting the speakers? Post a picture of where and what your doing, I have a 1994 sailfish and mounted my speakers up on the hardtop . was thinking of adding a few down in the round ports holes under the steps up the walk around area, but didn't do it yet, you might have a better idea.please post a pic.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
freddy063 said:
I'm not understanding what your asking? where are you mounting the speakers? Post a picture of where and what your doing, I have a 1994 sailfish and mounted my speakers up on the hardtop . was thinking of adding a few down in the round ports holes under the steps up the walk around area, but didn't do it yet, you might have a better idea.please post a pic.

I think (or at least this is the way that I read it) that he is thinking of 'hanging' the speakers from the underside of the gunwale. It sounds like these speakers have some type of self contained enclosure with a bracket to allow them to NOT have to be flush-mounted 'in' something.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, exactly the case. If your look at that model they show them mounted under the gunnel. It is a flange mounted speaker not gimbal mount. Looks like I need to remove a rod holder screw to get the depth. I'd really like to use 1" screw but the gunnels may not be that thick. I should call the factory, they should know. Any recommendations for a head unit? The speakers are 100W max 60W RMS.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Since it sounds like you can see the underside of the gunwale, just use a tape measure and the do the measuring-thing. No reason to take a screw out since you'll also need to reseal it, when you can measure it in less time. Also, physically look underneath - that might help to explain a lot.