99 272 Sailfish Radio Wire Runs

paterbil

Reaction score
I am updating the factory installed JVC radio/CD, which has a Prosec wired remote. Head unit is over the sink in the galley, wire bundle snakes off to speakers etc, and to the remote at the helm.

I plan to use the speaker wires as they are, and am hoping to ID the other wires in the bundle (anyone have any experience here?), perhaps to splice them as well.

I know the new wired remote will have to be run fresh, the technology has changed. I thought to pull the new cable through, pigtailed to the old, but I have no idea what I could be ripping out in the process.

Are the wire runs from the helm to the galley area accessible?

Or as an alternative, any thoughts on a new run for the remote wire which must be hidden ? The duct tape and carpet tack route has been nixed.

Thanks

Winged Pig

Reaction score
Interested to see what others have to say here as I'm looking to do pretty much the same thing to my 272. From a quick inspection it looks to me like the wire runs might be under the aft berth floor and then behind the microwave, but I can't confirm that as yet.

paterbil

Reaction score
Well, Winged, it might just be me and you on this one.

At first glance, I would agree with you about where the wire run is placed, there is quite a bundle leaving the starboard helm, but it seems that my remote cable may not be wired-tied with the others.

In my simple mind, I was hoping to 'fish' the cable as I would do in the wall of a house, but am concerned about pulling something else loose. If I get some free play in the wire, I may just use string to pull it through, less risk of catching on something. I have been away for a couple of days and will be playing with it this week.

Just FYI, I am leaving (hopefully), the existing 4 speakers or at least their wires in place for now, removing the old connector and joining the 4 pairs. I have been looking for an old JVC installation manual, to see if I could save the illumination or power wire as well.

I'll let you know as it progresses...

Regards,

pat