'99 300 Marlin w/ Yamaha 250 FXRX 2 strokes

fortunate son

Reaction score
I am considering making an offer on the above mentioned boat. I had hoped to purchase a newer boat with 4-strokes, but this boat is otherwise ideally equipped for me, and much more attainable price-wise than a newer boat. Engines have only 400 hours and have been serviced yearly by Yamaha (haven't seen records yet). These engines seem to have been commonly offered on this and similar boats at that time. Anyone who has experience or comments on that model engine and/or performance specs; I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance, Jim

georgemjr

Reaction score
Great boat, great motors. They are noisier, smokier, and thirstier than the 4 strokes, but extremely reliable, low maintenance motors. For the right price, that is an awesome package. Realize that just as you will get a good deal because of the 2 strokes, it will be harder to sell down the road for the same reasons. Still, an awesome package that should give you years and years of good use.

no problem

Reaction score
That's a great combo if the price of fuel doesn't concern you. I would consider your estimated usage and fuel cost before making any purchases. If you were looking at more efficient engines and settle for less you may suffer from buyers remorse. Many of the systems on these boats will need attention on an 11 year old boat. I would recommend a complete engine and boat survey. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Connorah

Reaction score
i bought a 2000 marlin with twin 250 Yamaha ox66 2 strokes two years ago and am starting my third season with the boat
I have been very happy with the package.
A pre purchase compression test and a knowing eye review by the surveyor and mechanic made me comfortable with the purchase.
:roll: The reason for my note, is that my surveyor (prior to purchase) and subsequent mechanics have verified that my engines had no hour meter and there is no way of knowing the true hours (newer Yamahas can be hooked up to a computer for a lot of data - but not mine)

Do your '99 motors have an hour meter???or are is it the sellers word???? :shock:

sickday

Reaction score
Ditto! Starting my 2nd season on my 01. Yea its thirsty, but its also fast, powerful, and reliable. Plus your freinds will be lining up to give you cash for gas. If the price is right go for it. You'll never burn in gas what you would pay for a newer boat anyway.

Good luck and post up pics if get it

Matt

uncljohn

Reaction score
Those engines are 30% more efficient than old carb'd engines, and 4-strokes are about 30% more efficient than those engines.

Consider this math when people tell you you should have 4-strokes:

When I was pricing new engines 3 years ago, a 4-stroke Yamaha cost $6K more than the same HP Yamaha OX66.

I run approx 100 hrs a year and spend approx $1000/year on gas.

If a 4-S gives me 30% better fuel economy, then I could save approx $300/year in fuel.

$6000 price difference divided by $300 annual savings = 20 years to recoup the extra $.

Yamaha OX66 SWS will last 20 years.
Noone knows how long a marine 4-S can last.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said except for the math. If you are paying $3.00/ gallon, which has to be in the ballpark, then $1,000 dollars worth of gas is about 333 gallons. You say you run about 100 hours a year. That would be a 3.3 gallon/ hour fuel burn. You would have to have the 9.9hp Yamaha or smaller for a fuel burn like that. I would say that the 4 stroke burns a couple less gallons an hour, and no oil. 100 hours times a couple gallons/ hour is about 200 extra gallons or 600 dollars. Same answer but different math. Plus the oil. I think that the 2S is a perfectly great package, but will have a harder time with re-sale...

sickday

Reaction score
Ive spent as much as $500 in one trip for fuel/oil. When I do the math, I always estimate on the high side. Even though I can optimize my mileage I still burn around 1.25-1.5 gallons per mile. just plan on burning a gallon for every mile you operate and you wont have any negative suprises. I know that sounds like a lot, but when you consider the price of a repower or a newer Marlin with 4 strikes, the cost of gas seems irrelevant. I think the cost of two new F250's is about $60k . I bet thats how much he's looking at spending on the entire package. Just my .02. And it would take along time to burn 60k in gas,,,,even for me.

downtown

Reaction score
92 Marlin with 99 OX 66

Yes, plan to use 1 gallon per mile at best. It does add up. If you have buddies to share the fuel costs, I wouldn't worry.