a beautiful 208 adventure immigrant

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
With a big thank you to Chris Brown, previous owner of Chum-a-long! We made our way from Vancouver Island down to Chris' home in Placentia CA, to meet Chris and his wife Sherry and purchase his 208. Everything we had discussed regarding his 208 was absolutely right on and their welcoming us was great. Chris made the transaction very easy, and a lot of help with directions both in coming and leaving with the boat in tow. We had a good trip home and introduced the 208 to a little rain, sleet, snow and ice before we arrived safely back home on the island. Up here on the coast, we use kicker motors (mostly for trolling, but also as back up, as some of the country we head into is remote). At the moment I'm in the process of installing a T8 Yamaha, on a fixed bracket, with remote controls. So I just wanted to say hi from a new guy and as a result from this site, is a brand new owner of a Grady and look forward to talking with you all in sharing ideas and adventures from this corner of the planet. :D

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Welcome to the Grady site trapper, you are going to love your new boat. I have a 94 208 with a T8 on a fixed bracket and could not be happier with the setup. I hope to put it to good use in a few weeks as it looks like we are going to have our first salmon season in a couple of years.

richie rich

Reaction score
Congrats on the new pick up......it will give years of entertainment for sure......did CJ get a new boat to replace this one?

jellyfish

Reaction score
Chris is a first class guy. I miss him on this site. I have a 208 with a T9 HT Kicker and love it. It works well. I also have the long cord for steering and it works well. Congrats in the new boat. Chris really took care of her.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm glad you found the forum Brian. Lot's of great info, and welcome aboard!

Trapper and wife are first class people, and quite the artists I must say. We hope to visit there sometime, they have some of the best boating in the world. I know, I came from that area 17 years ago!

I guess I'm going to have to change my sig and photo. :mrgreen:
It's such a great site I still enjoy reading thru the threads and helping out where possible.

Unfortunately we are a victim of the economy...wifey has been out of work for 9 months. She was an executive recruiter making a LOT of money, but guess what? No one is hiring so who needs a recruiter? And if they do they run an ad in Monster and get all the apps they need. Oh well.

I can see a Tournament in our future. Turns out wife was not into hardcore boating at all, like tuna trips or ocean running, and got seasick in minutes if it was rough. So for harbor cruising and watersports at the lakes, a tourney with a big outboard would be great. And we could bring more friends along for day-trips. We looked at them when we bought the 208, but I knew for the kind of boating I wanted to do it was a better choice. A change of boating style requires a change of boat, right?

I'm so pleased our boat has a good home. She was a tremendous source of pride and a wonderful boat. Grady's are really all they're cracked up to be!

richie rich

Reaction score
CJ...glad to hear you're just taking a hiatus from the boating world....it'll give you time to think about how you want that Tourney to be fully loaded up! Chum Along II, or something else in mind?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Trapper, Welcome aboard and congrats on the boat purchase. CJ, depending on your crew size, we really enjoyed our 192 and highly reccommend that boat if you need to downsize a tad, of course the 205 is on the same hull of your old boat, but a good condition 225 at the right price would be a great boat as well. Dont be a stranger...

On the economy side, we are in the travel and tourism biz and it is tough right now for us too. I wish yall the best and perhaps the admiral can find something new to pursue which brings her joy and some income to boot. Good luck with all that....hang in there...

J-cubed

Reaction score
Trapper congratulations. They say that one man's loss is another man's gain. I feel glad for you, you will love the Grady. I feel sad for CJ. I bought a new 208 in 1997 and I can't even imagine of ever having to let her go. I lost my job of 30 years a couple of years ago. We have had to tighten up the belt a bit, but sell the Grady. I would sell most everything else first. I run a 9.9 kicker on a lift/ bracket with remote control and an EZ steer. It works great for trolling. CJ, I am sure you won't be with out a Grady for long. It's kind of like when our dog died. We said no more dogs and that lasted for about a month. Grady Whites gets in your blood. They are a hard habit to kick, but who really would want to anyway? FISH ON

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
beautiful immigrant

Thank you all for your great welcome, and Chris for your kind words. We had the maiden voyage a couple of days ago. WOW it really is a thing of beauty not only in her appearance but handling and onboard space. We spent a couple hours breaking in the T8, having lunch in the sun in a quiet bay. Then the wind came up and we had a chance to see her work in the lump, This boat was built to bump waves and we enjoyed a dry a soft ride home. This week is a run across the straight to Desolation Sound to get back into prawning as the last two or three weeks has been spent in pursuit of the 208 (thanks again Chris) and getting her ready for the adventures ahead. I have mounted one electric downrigger, (its base doubles for the prawn puller) and look forward to mounting another when the coffers get topped up a little. Cheers for now and thanks again for the warm welcome, trapper :D perma grin.