A couple questions about a 228 Seafarer...

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
FWW, I have a ‘99 226 hardtop and pulpit with a Yamaha 200 4 cylinder 4 stroke. I had originally purchased the engine new in 2013 for a ‘76 22’ Mako CC but ended up getting tired of freezing my *** off in the Atlantic in the fall and went looking for something with more shelter for my aged self. Found an extremely well-maintained 226 with the original Evinrude 225 2 stroke for a good price. Ran it for a season and had the 200 4stroke put on the following winter. I worried about it being under powered all that winter but my mechanic assured me I’d be fine. He also knows me well and the type of boating I do. That was 3 years ago and I have no complaints. If I was buying a new engine I’d definitely go to a 225-250 but I had what I had and went with that. Some guys want to go faster or need more power but with a hardtop and pulpit, full tank of fuel and 2 big guys on board I can do 34-35mph. Where I fish and run my boat, I have no need to go faster than that. No problem with holeshots either because we’ve mastered the use of the trim tabs. Some guys never use them but they make a world of performance difference once you figure them out. I’m not saying that the boat doesn’t need a 225 or 250. Optimally it does but I’m not ready to invest in a new engine just to pick up another 10mph. Oh yeah, it also sips fuel. Something to be said with fuel prices being what they are.

Pighunter

Reaction score
99 228 with a 0x 66 225 as far as power goes I don't think I could use more power. The 225 2 stroke performs awesome in the pacific NW. gets on plane very fast and I can never go as fast as the boat will go in our ocean, I normally have only one person with me but have had 2 others and I noticed no difference. I always fill both tanks and depending what fish I'm targeting I sometime have 200 plus pounds in ice. My only reason for repowering is to go with a four stroke with no smell and smoke also the 2 stroke oil burn is way too high in my opinion.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Other Captains will tell you if a boat is underpowered from their point of view and their operating conditions. They might not be yours.

As usual, MagicalBill is spot on. If I were running my 228 on a lake, pretty flat, I think a 200 is possibly OK. If I were running in the Pacific, in our lumpy conditions, well I am doing that, 250 is OK, 300 would give you a better hole shot. So Bill is giving you good advice. You need to go run it in whatever seas are typical for you.

I can tell you that when I bought my 228 I thought the 250 was fine, I thought the only difference was 3 more MPH at WOT. But it also comes with 20% more grunt. That would be nice when you are trying to get on plane in snot. Personally, I wouldn't touch a 228 with a 200, it's underpowered for my ocean. I get it, it's tempting, the price is right, but there is a big chance that the engine is not right.

Reactions: magicalbill

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks again for all of the replies. I live in the Seattle area and my parents and I share a beach cabin on Whidbey Island which is a part of the Puget Sound. It can get a little choppy but for the most part the waters are quite protected, so I don't really need to go 40+ mph or whatnot. That being said, it would be nice to take the boat out to the open ocean in areas like Neah Bay or Seiku and not have to worry about anything. It sounds to me like this boat is more than capable of handling most conditions but it just might not get you up on a plane as quickly or get you to the fishing grounds as quickly as a 225-250 hp outboard will. The biggest reason I sold my Arima was because it's a modified vee with a flat bottom in the stern and it rode terribly through the chop. So I'd have to slow it down to 15-20 mph just to make it back to the cabin so that I wouldn't have a back ache the following day. The Arima's are little tanks and ride like one, they'll handle more than I'd be comfortable with and the Grady's sound like an even better, more comfortable riding boat by a long shot. I'm in the process of re-financing my house so I can't make any big purchases and do any loans for the next couple weeks anyway. Without showing too many of my cards, what do you guys think about the price? I know it's hard to price a boat that you haven't seen any pictures of but for a boat, motor and trailer does it seem like it's worth the low $20k's in terms of pricing? I've seen over the past couple years a few 2000 and newer 228 Seafarers for sale, usually in the winter, that are hardtops with 225-250hp outboards on them with a trailer, some with bottom paint and some without for $25k-30k. Do you think I should wait for something else or does this seem like a rather good deal? Thanks again!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
West coast 228's seem to be a needle in a haystack. I've seen some of the guys buy east coast and have them shipped. Go take a ride on it, if it suits your needs, put a deposit on it and have a surveyor look it over, after the findings, then make your decision. Remember, if it has good bones, you can repower down the road if the 200 is not enough for you.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well the ad has been pulled from Craigslist so I’m assuming that means it’s been sold. I’m still on the hunt. The boat was a 1998, I believe, the motor was a Suzuki 200 outboard from 2012 and only had 150 some odd hours on it. Trailer was the same vintage as the boat. Boat looked to be in nice shape and figured it wouldn’t last long at only $20k. Thanks for all of the replies, still on the hunt.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll throw my hat in the ring LOL. I have a Honda 200, use it in high altitude lakes. After I changed out the prop a few years ago I am happy with the performance. My understanding of the difference between the Honda 200 vs 225 is the mid-range torque. My hole shot is quick. Top speed is 36mph @5600rpm. Again the altitude is a real buzz kill.
If you were ocean going I would say pass, but I think you will be fine with it.
Men and bigger HP?? Go figure ;)

Edit: the winds coming across the Sierra range can peak at 115mph, so while it is not the ocean, big lakes here get nautical too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pighunter

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Well the ad has been pulled from Craigslist so I’m assuming that means it’s been sold. I’m still on the hunt. The boat was a 1998, I believe, the motor was a Suzuki 200 outboard from 2012 and only had 150 some odd hours on it. Trailer was the same vintage as the boat. Boat looked to be in nice shape and figured it wouldn’t last long at only $20k. Thanks for all of the replies, still on the hunt.

I think you dodged a bullet on that one. If you want to test out a modern (sort of, see below) 228, when the COVID thing is handled, I'd be happy to take you out.

On modern, I'm looking at putting seadek in my 228, talked to Grady and that deck is unchanged, they say, since 2006. Don't fix what works.

My harbor is Santa Cruz, CA.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Man do I feel left out in these kind of posts having vintage twins on my Seafarer. ;)

View attachment 17679

That’s the unicorn hull; it would be perfect for fishing here with twins.

@Mustang65fbk
I also came from an Arima (17 SC) to a Grady and it is a whole different animal. The cost of the improved ride quality is the power needed to move the deeper vee hull and significantly higher minimum planing speed.

As far as 4 strokes go, a 200 would likely feel underpowered unless you went with a low pitch prop at the expense of fuel burn. A 225 will have more mid-range torque and a 250 would have even more as it will get you into the big 6-cylinder blocks. If you’re talking Suzuki there is absolutely no difference between the 250 and 300 other than an ecu so you’re really only paying for a small incremental top end increase in speed; nothing noticeable if you’re planning on using the boat in a similar manner as your Arima.

You’re in a good position where you can take your time to find the best possible boat for your needs rather than buying a perceived deal only to spend more getting it dialed in. You could have made the 200 work but you’re better off with a 250 if you don’t want to fiddle with the engine setup too much. Good luck on finding one and keep some cash on the side for a good surveyor if you decide to buy out of state

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good afternoon... I've posted once or twice before and am currently looking for a used 228 Seafarer with a few more questions. First, I've found a decent looking 228 Seafarer but the problem is that it only has a 200hp outboard on it. It seems like the majority of the 228 Seafarers all have a 225-250hp outboard, most of which seem to be Yamaha's and was wondering if a 200hp outboard would be too underpowered to be worth it? The price is quite enticing though as it's in the low $20k's and looks to be a pretty clean boat but has basic electronics. Second, do they make different models of the 228 Seafarer hardtop? I know they make the hardtop version and the soft or bimini top but I've seen some with the bow pulpit and railing extending all the way out to it and yet others don't have the bow pulpit and it's just a wrap around bow railing. Was the bow pulpit optional in the late 90's or early 2000's or did the bow pulpit only come on the hardtop versions? Seems like it would be a standard piece of equipment to me and not just an option. Last question would be bottom paint. My last boat was a 21' Arima and I told myself I'd never get another boat with bottom paint because of the maintenance you have to do and thousands of dollars you have to spend re-doing it every 4-5 years, or however long it lasts. Is there a reason why people love bottom paint so much? I know it's supposed to be nice for boats moored year round to keep the junk off it but I had bottom paint on my Arima and it was on a buoy for only a couple months during the summer and it still collected seaweed, kelp, barnacles and everything else imaginable. That and I'd have to imagine that bottom paint would add a couple hundred pounds to a boat that already seems underpowered? Thanks again everyone for the replies!

I have a v1 hull 228g with a 2003 Yamaha 4 stroke on it, but a 200 will get you around with some power leftover. I've ran with 6 people on it and 80 gallons in the tank and it got up, fine no problems with a 200hp.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have a v1 hull 228g with a 2003 Yamaha 4 stroke on it, but a 200 will get you around with some power leftover. I've ran with 6 people on it and 80 gallons in the tank and it got up, fine no problems with a 200hp.

I think the context matters. I've got the v2 hull and a 2020 Yamaha 250 and it struggles in lumpy conditions that we have here on the Pacific (Santa Cruz, CA). 114 gallons of gas, 10 gallons of fresh water, gear and two adults on board. I'd hate a 200, I don't think it would be safe on snotty day, and around here, it's snotty most of the time.

Someone else said "go run it on your waters" and I 100% agree with that.

Roger R

Reaction score
Good afternoon... I've posted once or twice before and am currently looking for a used 228 Seafarer with a few more questions. First, I've found a decent looking 228 Seafarer but the problem is that it only has a 200hp outboard on it. It seems like the majority of the 228 Seafarers all have a 225-250hp outboard, most of which seem to be Yamaha's and was wondering if a 200hp outboard would be too underpowered to be worth it? The price is quite enticing though as it's in the low $20k's and looks to be a pretty clean boat but has basic electronics. Second, do they make different models of the 228 Seafarer hardtop? I know they make the hardtop version and the soft or bimini top but I've seen some with the bow pulpit and railing extending all the way out to it and yet others don't have the bow pulpit and it's just a wrap around bow railing. Was the bow pulpit optional in the late 90's or early 2000's or did the bow pulpit only come on the hardtop versions? Seems like it would be a standard piece of equipment to me and not just an option. Last question would be bottom paint. My last boat was a 21' Arima and I told myself I'd never get another boat with bottom paint because of the maintenance you have to do and thousands of dollars you have to spend re-doing it every 4-5 years, or however long it lasts. Is there a reason why people love bottom paint so much? I know it's supposed to be nice for boats moored year round to keep the junk off it but I had bottom paint on my Arima and it was on a buoy for only a couple months during the summer and it still collected seaweed, kelp, barnacles and everything else imaginable. That and I'd have to imagine that bottom paint would add a couple hundred pounds to a boat that already seems underpowered? Thanks again everyone for the replies!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you dodged a bullet on that one. If you want to test out a modern (sort of, see below) 228, when the COVID thing is handled, I'd be happy to take you out.

On modern, I'm looking at putting seadek in my 228, talked to Grady and that deck is unchanged, they say, since 2006. Don't fix what works.

My harbor is Santa Cruz, CA.

Thank you for the offer, that's very generous. Unfortunately I live in the Seattle area and isn't very close.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thank you for the offer, that's very generous. Unfortunately I live in the Seattle area and isn't very close.

Yeah, and impractical given COVID. Have you talked to Jacobsens, the local GW dealer? I'm pretty sure there is an owners club up there and the dealer is part of it. I'd start there, has to be a bunch of 228s up there, they are popular in the Pacific NW.

Good luck, my offer stands but, yeah, not practical.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah, and impractical given COVID. Have you talked to Jacobsens, the local GW dealer? I'm pretty sure there is an owners club up there and the dealer is part of it. I'd start there, has to be a bunch of 228s up there, they are popular in the Pacific NW.

Good luck, my offer stands but, yeah, not practical.

I did stop in at Jacobsen's in Edmonds oh probably a month ago or so but they didn't have any 228 Seafarer's for sale at the time. They did have a customers 228 that they were working but didn't want to be walking around on a customers boat, and then they also had a 232 Gulfstream. I walked around on the 232 and it's a pretty wide boat, I think much wider and bigger than I'd ever need in the Puget Sound. I was hoping they'd have a 228 as I've never been in one before but from everything I've heard about them, they sound like a great boat. And I think just about anything will handle the chop better than my 21' Arima would haha. Thanks again for the offer and the advice, unfortunately West Coast boats and especially in the Pacific Northwest for some reason sell for sometimes 2-3 times as much as they do elsewhere in the country. That's why I bought my Arima in Maryland because it was only $16,500 compared to the mid $30k's like they sell for out here. I'll have to keep looking.