A kicker for a 226 Seafarer

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
I need some advice please. I have a '95 226 Seafarer with a '95 Yamie 200hp 2 stroke. I boat and fish the waters around Boca Grande, Florida.
I would like to put a kicker on the boat. I love the Yamie's and would like to stay with that brand.

I would be using the kicker for trolling and if the 200 fails, get me back to land. I do not plan to go over 5 miles out in the gulf but if needed, may have to run against the tide and or wind through Boca Grande or Gaspirilla Pass. I carry up to 4 adults on the boat

I am concerned about the change in handling, balance and attitude with the extra weight on the stern. A simple Yamie 2 stroke 8hp weights 60 lbs and a hi trust 9.9hp electric start goes in at 110 lbs. Seems like a lot of extra weight sitting on your stern.

Anybody out there have experiences or recommendations, engines and/or mounts. I need some real world advice from boaters, please.

OUTCAST

Reaction score
I run 15 hp Honda kicker on GW 228-slightly over 100 lbs. weight on transom is neglible-main engine is 200 hp Evinrude. You don't need 15 hp-at approx. 1/3 throttle I get 5-6 knots. Any more throttle, boat starts to "squat" and pushes more water, doesn't go any faster.

Recommend 9.9 HP 4-stroke with Heavy Duty bracket (you don't need Heavy Duty-I just like that on structural components-mine's rated for around 30 HP, 170lbs. max) I like 4-stroke because I just put a tee in fuel line coming off fuel/water filter/separator and run if off main tank.

They sell steering linkages to hook into main engine. Don't bother with it-just lock kicker in one position, leave main engine shut down in water and steer with it. Works just fine for trolling stripers-might have to improvise that if you need to use kicker to bring you home into tight quarters sometime. Note: kicker probably won't give you enough speed for some offshore trolling-some of those fish like 7-10 knot troll-you prolly ain't gonna have it. Good luck,

Amigo

Reaction score
This company makes a good heavy duty motor lift type bracket - www.garelick.com. I would recommend the 14 inch travel lift.

People who trailer any distance often have problems with the brackets breaking from the stress of bumps and potholes.

richmake

Reaction score
I had a 204 adventure/200 merc 2 stroke and added a heavy 9.9hp merc kicker...
The added weight made a slight list but not bad at all...
I had a long shaft with a fixed bracket...
One thing I would of done if I kept the boat was add a TR-1 system for trolling...maybe even hydrolic tilt but that's really over board...
I would also recommend staying with Yamaha...sweet kickers for sure.

Amigo

Reaction score
rickmake,

I have a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke big foot. It is a 1999 model year electirc start. It has been a great motor.

Judging from your location your probably trolling for salmon. In a few weeks I will be on Lake Michigan trolling for Coho, Chinook, and trout.

I just received shipment of my TR1 Gold autopilot for the kicker. I'm in the process of installing the unit. Today was the day for drilling a hole in my Grady's transom for more electrical and hydraulic lines. I fish solo quite often and I'm looking forward to the auto pilot.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Thank you, Gentlemen, I think that I am going to go to a Yami 9.9 4 stroke electric start.
My concern is that with the swim platform on the port side I will need to mount the kicker on the same side that the helm seat is located. I can trim under way but still concerned about change in handling. Perhaps I am being over concerned.

Anyone out there have a nice Yami 4 stroke 9.9 electric start -long shaft or know of a good Yami Store.

Thanks for you help and advice.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Kicker for a 226 Seafarer

Anybody have a shaft length recommendation - Yami Dealer recommends a 25 inch on the 9.9 fourstroke elecric start G series.
Probally use a Garlick heavy duty mount
Any real world advice out there.

Thanks,

Amigo

Reaction score
I just measured my Merc 9.9. It is 25 inches. You measure from the centerline of the prop to the mounting bracket horizontal surface that sits on the transom.

It's a bit trickey to get the motor lift mounted at the correct height. You want the cavitation plate a few inches below the hull when the lift is in the down position. I measured 5 times and then had a competent friend measure also. Then I drilled the mounting holes for the lift.

Based on the lift's travel, usually around 14 inches. Calculate where your prop will be when in the full up oposition as well. The skeg should be just above the hull bottom and out of the water when your on plane.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
You are a good man and Friend, Amigo (LOL)

25 " it is and I shall measure like you did. Thanks

Will let you know how it goes,
JerseyBoy

HMBJack

Reaction score
Kicker on a 228

I have a 2005 228 with F225 and a T8 25" shaft Yamaha.
I have it mounted on the Starboard side. This is because, before installing it, my boat naturally leaned to port while on plane - not much but it was definitely there. I think this was because of the the clockwise rotation of the prop which want to bury the port rail while at speed. I observed this on my first (smaller) boat as well. In any event, after installing the T8 on the starboard side - the boat ran perfectly level. Another consideration is the fact that my 2 batteries are on the Port side. Assuming they weigh about 80 pounds combined, I couldn't justify putting the kicker (130lbs. w mount) on that same side. The 226/228 is a nice boat but at 22 feet - it's not a ship so weight distribution is important IMHO. I have the T8 electric start and trim which pushes my boat at 5-5.5.mph WOT GPS. It will troll all day and night at 3mph running on fumes. I use a fixed mount which I purchased from my GW dealer here in California (in Cambell). Nice thing about the fixed mount is there is zero movement of the motor. With the long shaft, when the motor's up, it's out of the water so no dealing with the up and down of the Garelick (which is a good mount by the way). Lastly, I use an EZ Steer which connects the main motor to the T8 for wheel steering. This is a plus when operating on auto-pilot which we do alot when trolling. Good luck with your decisions and rigging set-up. - Jack

Dogwood

Reaction score
I had an '86 228 Seafarer with a 2 stroke 15 hp Evinrude on a Garelick bracket that was perfect combo. Hooked up an EZ Steer and was set. Weight concerns and listing was/were not as issue.