A question about washing the fuel tank on a 2020 228

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've learned that I'm supposed to open up my hatches and wash the gas tank a couple of times/year. So I'm looking into that and have a question.
All the way aft in the compartment with the fuel tank, there is a pipe (metal I think) that runs under the fuel tank. Curious as to what that is.

Next to that pipe is another pipe that extends into the compartment maybe 2 inches and goes through the bulkhead. Another 228 owner told me there should be a plug in that pipe with the idea being that if your gas tank leaks, the plug keeps the gas out of the aft bilge because there is a bilge pump there and it could start and blow up the boat if there was gas in the aft bilge. OK, fine, in my pipe there is something blocking it but it is pushed about 1.5 inches into the pipe. Is that normal? It also seems fairly hard.

If anyone knows how this all should be sorted, please share.

Also check out http://mcvoy.com/lm/2022-fort-bragg/

for albacore and bigeye tuna pics.

seasick

Reaction score
The first pipe is most likely a drain from the forward bilge to the aft bilge. That is needed since the coffin for the gas tank is supposed to be sealed.
I doubt that the pipe is metal though.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know how long you have had your boat but if it older and you haven't flushed the tank in several to many years, , flushing it now isn't going to make a lot of difference.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any plug that would be used would be a standard rubber drain plug - typically with either a T-handle or a snap-handle so it's easily removable. It wouldn't be something that is pushed FULLY inside. In your case, Lucky, it sounds like something got stuck in there. Try using a long drywall screw and see if you can "grab" it. Or use a drill bit to drill a hole in it and then use a screw into the pilot hole you just made. Or go to the other end of the drain tube and push it out with a stiff fish tape. The drain tube should drain easily, not slowly.

• Wow
Reactions: GW1990

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The bilge water from the forward compartment to the aft compartment flow through a void under the fuel tanks. It starts and ends with a piece of 1" PVC but I don't believe its continuous. I tried to snake mine but could only go so far. Probably can't find the hole in the bulkhead to the next compartment. Some day I put a camera in there to see what is happening. Water is slow to flow to the aft compartment. Probably debris.

I have not explored the fuel call/compartments yet. The aft bulkhead has a plug in the soft vinyl tube drain. I have never taken it out or snaked it. Also have never had my tanks out. I have had the hatch off and inspected them. I have cleaned and rinsed the tanks but pumped the water out with a plastic bilge hand pump.

Overall I think washing the tanks is a waste of time although it doesn't hurt. You can't see the tank corrosion. It's going to happen on the underside on the pads they rest on. I do think its a good idea to clean the top of the tanks to remove salt and/or ozze from the plywood in the wet hatches. I converted everything under the inspection port with plastic so the when it leaks its diverted away from the sending unit and hose connections.

Below is a photo of a 268 Islander aft fuel compartment (not mine). On the right you can see the forward main fuel tank. On the right is the aft aux fuel compartment. You can see the compartment has a "floor" and is isolated from the bilge. Not sure if i see the aft fuel compartment drain. There appears to be a hose coming out of the forward main tank compartment. I talked to GW a couple of years ago and they didn't really seem to know how the fuel compartments are setup.

268 Aft tank.jpeg

My tanks are not leaking but will get replaced next year. 25 years is overdue. Maybe I'll figure it out then!

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I had a rough weekend on my 2007 306 Bimini. I noticed a gas smell after filling the tanks. Opened the inspection hatches and the tops of the tank were a mess. Cleaned them off and found three small perforations as pictured. I had never heard about washing the tanks. I've cleaned and sanded the area and repaired the holes with two part epoxy made for the repair of aluminum fuel tanks. Then I flushed the tanks and bilges with a variety of bilge cleaners and dawn dishwashing liquid to get rid of the smell and the Fumes. I'm looking into new tanks now. I hope I can get something lined up for the first half of June.

Attachments

• A3D9B721-F40B-4BBD-9536-602011CE0767_4_5005_c.jpeg
    A3D9B721-F40B-4BBD-9536-602011CE0767_4_5005_c.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 17

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I had a rough weekend on my 2007 306 Bimini. I noticed a gas smell after filling the tanks. Opened the inspection hatches and the tops of the tank were a mess. Cleaned them off and found three small perforations as pictured. I had never heard about washing the tanks. I've cleaned and sanded the area and repaired the holes with two part epoxy made for the repair of aluminum fuel tanks. Then I flushed the tanks and bilges with a variety of bilge cleaners and dawn dishwashing liquid to get rid of the smell and the Fumes. I'm looking into new tanks now. I hope I can get something lined up for the first half of June.
Join the club of never having heard, there is a lot to know. Now I open up the round hatches after every trip and wash down the tank maybe every 3 trips. Live and learn.