Abacos Trip suggestions

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
I have been invited to boat over with a group going to Green Trutle in the Abacos the first full week of June. I am considering joining the group. I have some general questions and perhaps others who travel across have other suggestions I welcome those.

My 228 has a 125 gallon tank with a range of maybe between 290 to 350 depending on seas and load of course. Some boats will check through customs at West End while other will go to Green Turtle. Would it be wise to check in at West End first? The total distance from West Palm to Green Turtle is 165 miles.

I do not have a mast pole to fly any colors on my boat. Do I simply buy some antenna clips to fly the yellow flag and then fly the bahama flag as courtesy?

I am looking to purchase a hand gun and take the classes for a concealed weapons permit here in NC. Is it wise to have a weapon aboard crossing down there? If so, I suspect one has to declare it in customs? Yes or no? if yes is it an issue?

How much food do folks bring versus buying there? I have been to the Exumas several times and we fly there. Food has never been an issue.

Any suggestions by anybody on some decent places to stay that are also affordable. I am searching on VRBO for houses but there may be places to stay that are cheap and nice?

Thanks.

ahill

Reaction score
I question your range.
I would check in at West End and refuel and then proceed.
Which port you leave from also makes a difference.
Probably add a lttle fuel at West End for the return to be safe.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We've been to Abaco many times, but took our own boat for the first time last year.

Our old 228 had just over 200 mile range with 92 gallons and a two stroke; I'm sure you have plenty to get there with your setup. However, there are factors that will make you get considerably less efficiency...1) if the gulfstream is kicked up, you'll go slow and burn much more gas 2) you'll be very heavy with fuel, ice, bait, gear, food, safety gear, spare parts, etc.

Here's what I would do in your case. Once you get to the Grand Bahama Bank, it's generally a very easy and predictable ride all the way out to the Sea of Abaco. If the crossing has been slow, bumpy and "gassy," simply hit West End and take a break. Get gas, clear Customs, maybe a bite. If it's smooth and your fuel burn looks really good, you can choose to carry on; it's still a long way but much easier and with predictable fuel burn from there. Though our new(er) boat carries 200 gallons, it powers two 200 HPDIs. We left West Palm Beach and got all the way past Elbow Cay to Lubber's Quarters, and still fished/played for two days before we took on any gas. That was with FULL load of gear, food and six people aboard.

Don't worry about the flags unless you want to do it. In my experience out there, very few U.S. boats fly the Bahamian flag, and the Bahamians don't seem to notice or care about the yellow Quarantine flag, either. We hung a yellow T-shirt to be safe, but no one looked or cared.

We personally don't carry guns and see zero reason for them. However, we know people that do. You DO have to declare them and all ammunition, and I'm told they're serious about it.

I created what I think is a decent checklist for the trip; I'd be glad to post it or send it via PM or something. We carried two huge boxes of food, just because it's so expensive there and we had the room.

You will LOVE it out there; we've been many times and keep going back. We usually fly a small plane and rent a boat; the family is still a bit happier with that method. Personally, I enjoyed the journey and REALLY enjoyed being in my own boat with my own electronics and gear. :D

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be glad to reply.

GulfSea

Reaction score
Boy that sounds like a great time. Post on how it all turns out, where you stayed, how the fuel burn turned out when you return. I hope to retire later this year and wouldn't mind making such a trip as well.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
ahill,
On smooth water our mpg is 3.1 mpg and when we have been in 3 to 4s it drops to 2.6 to 2.7 mpg. I am basing my range on my offshore fishing experience and flatwater experience. I am excited about taking my own boat. We have been to Exumas several times to Staniel Cay Yacht Club and flew over every time. I have long to take my boat and fishing gear and fish the waters over there. In a way it is a dream come true trip for me. Thanks for the tips.

ahill

Reaction score
Looks like you're fine for fuel.
My 25 Mako with 2 150 1988 Johnsons would burn about 45 gals from Boca to Bimini on a normal trip of 2.5 to 3 hrs.
Went over once in rough stuff took 5 hrs & 80 gals.
Also do routine maint & get some spare parts brfore leaving.
What is your power?

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
As previously mentioned flags and guns are unnecessary. Guns and ammo have to be declared and whatever you do don't show up anywhere with one more or one less round than is documented accounted for.

Bring all food, drinks, and supplies with you because most is hard to find (except in Marsh Harbour) and expensive. This is where you will be glad you have a cabin. Bring all parts and tools you have ever used to service the boat including spare fuel filters, these should dissappear under the bunks.

The most fuel i've burned from West Palm to West End, GB was 44gal. This was 3 weeks ago and involved me towing another boat the last 20miles there. You won't really know your fuel burn untill you load the boat down and head East, many factors play into it including most importantly weather.

And lastly get a couple bean bags from esearider or oceantamer. Your passengers will thank you (actually they will sleep the whole time which is a blessing).

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Smokey that is a great trip. I think you'll really enjoy it. At Green Turtle you have several choices to stay. In white sound there is the Bluff House and the Green Turtle Club and in black sound the Leeward Club and Marina is very nice and reasonable. I've stayed at all 3 and recommend them all. The husband and wife team that run the Leeward Club are very nice people. Whe you get there rent a golf cart its the best way to see the island and get around.
If you do gas up at West End be aware that they have ethanol in their gas. Having said this make sure you bring a supply of your favorite fuel treatment along just in case. I've never had a problem with their gas but some people don't like to use gas with ethanol.
In June the crossing should be OK usually not too bad crossing the stream but don't be surprised if there is a short 1-2 ft wind chop when crossing the Bahama Bank to the Abacos. It can make this part of the trip unconfortable.
One last note get Steve Dodge's "Guide to the Abacos" before you go, it will answer all your questions and much more.

Coconut330

Reaction score
Bob......We have made the trip many times to the Abacos. We depart West Palm Beach and clear customs in West End. I like clearing in West End because we usually have guests that this is their first trip across. This gives them a break before we resume the rest of the trip to Treasure Cay. It is just a few miles further than Green Turtle.
When I had my 28 Grady with twin F225's the most I would burn would be about 115 gallons. This is with a FULL load of gear,food, ect, 4-6 people.
My current boat is a 330 Express and I usually burn about 175 gallons. (Repowering now with the new F300's)
We stay on Treasure Cay at a place called Brigatine Bay Villas. Great place to stay and walking distance to grocery and shoping. Three nice docks and does not charge extra for dockage or water like most other places. Also have use of the marina pool when you stay there.
We bring food just not as much as we use to due to the availabilty and lower prices at the grocery store next to Treasure Cay Marina.
Lots of restaurants for lunch. And plenty of fish to catch and eat.
You dont need to bring a weapon. Never have had a problem any where. If you do it must stay locked on your boat.
It is a great trip you will love it. We depart on the 16 June .
The is lots of info that I could give you about going over. From a place to leave your vehicle to tips about clearing Customs after coming back.
Give me a call if you want to talk.
Rob
386-871-7260

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks Yall! Great advice. The Admiral mentioned she is nervous about crossing. I reminded her when we fish out of Charleston or Port Canaveral we often go 50 plus miles off and when you look at it at most you are 30 miles away from land at any given time. I am excited about it. We go to the Keys about every other year and love it. I am looking forward to planning it and making the trip. For Chilristmas Sandstone brough me a new Nikon point and shoot that is water proof to 33 feet. I do not dive yet so this is a great camera for snorkeling. Ahill, we have a F250 on her. In a few weeks I am taking her for her annual service before the big spring rush.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Your wife's apprehension is not uncommon.....a couple dramamine and a bean bag and she will wake up happy on the smooth green waters of the Bahama bank.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
walkers,

we purchased 4 sea rider bean bags over the past couple of years. You are dead on those make a great way to smooth out a trip. Ours are the tear drop large ones you can take a nap in on the ride home. She does not get sea sick she is just freaked out about the crossing. One time we were in the exumas in May and met some folks on boats who crossed the first week of May and they were in 40 footers and they told some stories of the Gulf Stream just being huge with 7-9 seas and I think the Admiral just holds onto this. Trust me I have respect for the stream and how weather can turn it on dime.

This was the year we were hit with Charlie, Francis and jean. The bermuda high set in May of that year with stiff 20-25 knot east winds. It was rough in the Exumas and we could only explore the sound side not the bank side at all because seas were so nasty. She shared with me she does not like the idea of paying for place to stay and being scheduled to go on a particular day knowing we could be forced to stay in port. I cant argue with that all. I will share with her your ability to cross with ease in a tad smaller boat.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
June and July are your best bets. Still never a guarantee.
As long as your trip doesnt fall on a holiday weekend you should have no trouble finding last minute condos and hotels. Some places will take reservations without a deposit but if you are set on a rental house you will have to lay down some cash up front and book in advance.

Since your trip will require quite a bit of planning just allow yourself a couple days on the front end to cross and watch the weather closely while your there. It is very common to cut the trip a little short from either end to ensure a safe crossing. Worst case most owners will hold your deposit for a future trip if it gets totally blown out by a named storm or something.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bob: Assuming you're leaving from Lake Worth Inlet, do you know where you'll launch your boat, and, more importantly, where your truck and trailer will be? I suggest Lake Park Marina as the safest for the truck. Also, the Gulfstream Grady Group is going to West End in June and Green Turtle in July. Have you thought about joing them?

Rob

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Rob,
Thanks for the tips. After some thinking and talking to folks via the PM system here, I have switched my plans. I am saving the fee charged by the edgewater group and Coconut here is going over to the Abs in June but a week later and has graciously allowed us to join his group. I will be relying on his multiple crossing expertise as it were. He lives up in my old stomping grounds and we have met before with the Daytona Grady Club about 10 years ago. I have heard or read about the boat ramp and parking there where you mentioned before. I did inquire about trips with the Gulfstream group and without trying to be negative to anyone person there, since I have a single motor I was not really welcome by their club to cross with them. Hey, maybe we could meet up before we cross after we get back? I would love to say hello as we have tried this for the past couple of years...maybe the third time is the charm.