? About automatic inflate life jackets?

lime4x4

Reaction score
Looking into getting a couple of the following auto inflate life jackets
Onyx A/M-24 Automatic/Manual Inflatable PFD Life Jacket
Once they deploy do u just throw them away or can u reuse them?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my sospenders and west marines have reset kits. mustang too. don't know about others, but they should state on the package. good luck, ron

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pretty sure they are all resusable but you have to rearm of course.

Also note that there are 2 types of auto-deploy mechanisms: a disolvable "bobbin" type which deploys when wet, and a "hydrostatic" type which deploys under water pressure. The bobbin types are cheaper, but apparently they can deploy in the rain or when splashed. I've only ever owned the hydrostatic types (Mustang) and have never had an accidental deploy. When my vests expire, I always check them by pushing them underwater in the bathtub and they've all worked perfectly. Rearming the Mustangs is easy, but not cheap.

seasick

Reaction score
everwhom said:
Pretty sure they are all resusable but you have to rearm of course.

Also note that there are 2 types of auto-deploy mechanisms: a disolvable "bobbin" type which deploys when wet, and a "hydrostatic" type which deploys under water pressure. The bobbin types are cheaper, but apparently they can deploy in the rain or when splashed. I've only ever owned the hydrostatic types (Mustang) and have never had an accidental deploy. When my vests expire, I always check them by pushing them underwater in the bathtub and they've all worked perfectly. Rearming the Mustangs is easy, but not cheap.

Yes, the hydrostatics are expensive to rearm but they are rated for 5 years (I think) between cartridge replacement. The non hydros should be maintained every two years.
I actually use a manual mustang. There is an upside and a downside. Upside, it is less bulky. Downside.. if you get knocked out and go overboard, it is not going to inflate. I do carry an auto for my wife.

Note that any vest is better than no vest!

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We love those auto-inflates. A somewhat humerous lesson learned:

If you store the extra, little-used jackets in a damp, warm place like the under-berth storage in a cabin, and they eventually do their job and inflate as much as space will allow...

Well, just make sure you store them with the release valve facing up, right under the hatch cover!