About to buy a boat- should I be worried. PICS INCLUDED

Brames

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was looking at a 2004 Islander and found, among other things, alot of the white paint over the hull fiberglass peeling off. Is this major concern? There was also alot of mold on the boat but I wasn't as concerned about that.
Thanks

paint%20chip1.jpg

paint%20chip2.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd be worried if it was gelcoat peeling and just as worried if it was paint. It woudl seem they were covering up something with the paint. There are too many Gradys for sale to settle on one with problems.

Brames

Reaction score
This is the paint/gelcoat from the factory that is peeling off the fiberglass on the interior. It's happening all over the boat and thought if it wasn't a big deal I could have it redone.
I really respect Grady's so I am interested in trying to work this through.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is a very odd occurence, and I would be a bit concerned. Can you get some pics and post them?
I would proceed very cautiously until I found out why this is happening. Do you know complete history of boat?

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
As stated above - too many deals out there to get involved with this
walk away

Brames

Reaction score
Additional pics of the interior of the boat.

The history is that the boat is barely used, 200hrs on the engines. It just sits in the water.

Notice the paint at the top of the pic.
paint%20peel2.JPG

paint%20peel1.JPG

The other issue:
transom1.jpg

Thanks all

Brames

Reaction score
try right clicking the image and then click on "show picture"
If not I can try another route b/c I see them ok.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your image hosting is probably not set for public viewing - hence no images on the thread. You're not trying to host them from your own computer, right?

Make sure the boat isn't a salvage from Katrina or something. Paint peeling and mold sounds like too much moisture. So maybe it sat under a wrap, or it had sunk at some point. Does the seller have ownership documentation from new? They should be able to explain its history and condition.

Would like to see the pics.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Something is wrong with that boat, for a 2004 that paint should not be peeling. It is not anything structural, just paint, typically awlgrip is what builders use, not sure what Grady uses. Nonetheless, it should last years, not 5 and peel, so something is wrong with that paint or something happened to that boat that the owner is not disclosing and is hoping someone will over look. As far as the bolt in the transom, it is hard to tell but there is some rust and looks like a small crack or two, those cracks would surely need to be repaired and just touched up to prevent water from seeping in, a survey can tell you if there is actually any transom damage or if they are just stress cracks which need a little attention due to their location, which they likely are, but still need to be checked out.

The only true negatives to the peeling paint inside the hull are that your going to have paint chips throughout the hull, some bigger ones could potentially block the passages from compartment to compartment and stop flow and could retain water in the hull, or if something went wrong, possibly cause the boat to flood. The other negative is the purpose of the paint is to allow the inside of the hull to clean easier and stay clean, rough fiberglass seems to hold dirt on its surface a lot easier and is harder to clean, plus any chemicals that you use can and will to some extend effect the resins in the fiberglass on the surface, it would take tons of chemicals to have an effect, but it is something I'd avoid if possible. The paint essentially is a barrier to protect the fiberglass below, much like gelcoat does on the topside of the boat. Builders use paint on insides because it is easier and quicker to apply and also cheaper, also no one waxes the inside of a hull so there is no need for a higher quality glossy gel coat there, paint is better suited for the job.

Coming from a boat designer, I do not see any structural issues with this, but would personally shy away from this boat because this should NOT be happening, almost ever, especially on a newer boat. If you were to get a great deal on the boat, I would be cautious and highly recommend putting some time over the winter into scraping off a bit of the peeling paint, clean the surface and then roll on awlgrip paint to take care of the issue, it isn't something I would just forget and leave alone, those paint chips in the hull would worry me that the boat is not draining properly. Best of luck, hopefully you can find a boat out there that suits your needs and with less issues.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The transom thru-bolt looks like the result of a grounding.
Are we sure this boat didn't run aground and sink?

For a 2004 boat, it looks rough. Mine is just two years newer, and when you look inside the hull it looks like a brand new boat.

I have a funny feeling about this one.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lots of good Islanders out there.

Our boat is a 2002, has been in the water about seven years this month, and doesn't have any areas that look like that.

We also have about 1300 hours under power.

Brian

Brames

Reaction score
I'm getting the picture loud and clear.

Although I am heart broken I think I may pass on the boat.

Thanks for all your help guys, it has been invaluble!

SlimJim

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I think you should walk away, looks like the boat went under.
Thats what I was thinking.