Absolute Best Gelcoat Restore Products/Techniques???

smontgomery

Reaction score
What is the hands down favorite and best performing product, or mix of products, to buff out and restore the gelcoat on my '95 208?

Boat's out of the water for a month or so and I'd like to do the entire boat from bow to stern, inside and out. I just got the boat in Aug '07 and the boat has been lightly used. NO hull damage or scratches...... just lots of exposure to the elements I suspect.

I have an orbital buffer and ok arms.

New stripes and GW stickers too. Best method to remove without scratching?

I searched the forum but didn't come up with much.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Steve

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It depends on how bad the gel is oxidized. If there is any surface reflection at all you can use Finesse It II which is great at restoring the gloss and then I use Colinite Fleet Wax (paste) to protect the finish. If there is no reflection at all you are going to need a more aggressive coumpound like 3M Oxidation Remover then use the Finesse It II then Colinite. I use a foam pad for the coumpounds and apply the Colinite by hand and be sure to wipe it off before it dries. I use old flannel rags to apply the Colinite and microfiber towels to remove then I usually use a polishing pad on the buffer. I have been working on my Islander for a year and got the outside looking good but the deck and cabin need lots of hand rubbing as the buffer does't fit many of the contours. This spring I will concentrate on the topsides. I purchase the Finesse It II at an automotive paint supplier or you can find it online. Hope this helps. It is very time consuming and do small areas at a time.

jehines3

Reaction score
I detailed cars and boats for years. Exactly, and I mean exactly, what 1st Grady said. jh

smontgomery

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys. Very helpful. I know there's lots of "miracle" products out there and I just didn't want to waste my time and my arms on something that I'd have to do over again.

I'm new to powerboats as of Aug '07. This forum has been nothing short of terrific in my quest for information and tips.

Thanks again.

terry71

Reaction score
Hey guys, while we are on this topic, I want to do the same. Only I want to re-paint the bottom. It was done two years ago, but needs it again. Any tips and suggestions. I am willing to do whatever it takes.

Thanks everyone,

Terry

Double Eagle

Reaction score
Talking about hard to get at spots. I bought a air buffer, it has 3' foam pads and it does one hell of a good job on those hard to get to places. I think I only gave around $80.00 for the buffer, It came in a kit with extra pads and a nice carrying box.