AC/DC panel

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok, yesterday my ac/dc panel was reading 120 and all systems were working while plugged into the dock. Today, instead of 120 I am getting --- . No numbers. I am getting power through the dock, the 120 systems are operational. I switched over to generator, started up, but no numerical reading. If power is going through, systems are operational, why aren't I getting a voltage number reading? Thanks.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Batteries are on. Even turned both sets off, switched 1, 2 both every possible combination. Dock power off. When I throw on off switch back and forth, occastionally I see EEE but then immediately goes to ---. All systems work on battery power. Anyone got any ideas?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get a multimeter and measure the voltage at a 120V receptacle in boat.

The reading at the panel is taken on the bus I expect.

If you read proper volltage with the multimeter, then I expect the panel voltmeter to be shot.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
BobP you are wise and all knowing. I just called Grady and they suggested that the voltmeter is probably shot. They advised that I would need to do a retrofit as the voltmeter used in 2005 Marlin's (and I suspect all other models in same year) is no longer manufactured. They gave me the Blue Sea recommended replacement and spec information. Those guys are really great and so are the folks that participate in this forum :!:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Glad to hear you have a solution.

Nonetheless, check an outlet, then with all power off, pull the panel out away from it's mount or get behind it, and make sure the two wires to the meter are intact and not loose.

Make sure panel is dead when you do this, dead as a door nail.