AC DC Panel

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Good evening everyone, and please forgive my ignorance. I recently bought a 1989 Marlin. I have had smaller boats, nothing quite this large. My questions are, when I plug in shore power, I get electric lets say to the stove, with the stove breaker switched to the on position on the DC side of the panel, with both Guest battery switches off. I guess if someone could explain to me how the panel actually works, I have searched and searched and cannot find any explanation of this. When I look I panel, I see it as when things are switched on ,on the DC side, but batteries are off, why is stove working? I guess I am thinking that they are two different panels, that only the things on ac side should work with ac only, and vice versa.Any explanations would be most helpful. And thanks again for your great advice here in this forum.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In my experience, I have never seen a DC stove - it would pull too many amps. The stove should only be labelled on the AC side. Are you sure you aren't confusing something on the DC side? Maybe you saw "stereo" and it's worn off a little, but you still saw the "s"? When you aren't connected to shore power, then you would use the alcohol part.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I guess I was thinking that once I was hooked to shore power, everything should work on both sides of the panel. Like I stated, please pardon my lack of knowledge on this issue. My thinking was, that since there is a inverter, everything on both sides of panel should work, no matter what current I am using, ac or dc. I guess I am overthinking what the inverter is capable of. But I believe I am getting closer to understanding, that the ac side will work with shore power, or a optional generator, if I was going to call on that side of the panel, when I'm offshore fishing, and everything else would still be pulling off the battery from the dc side of the panel.
I'll figure it out as I go, Thanks for the advice, and Merry Christmas.
Glen

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tatt00z said:
Thanks for the response, I guess I was thinking that once I was hooked to shore power, everything should work on both sides of the panel. Like I stated, please pardon my lack of knowledge on this issue. My thinking was, that since there is a inverter, everything on both sides of panel should work, no matter what current I am using, ac or dc. I guess I am overthinking what the inverter is capable of. But I believe I am getting closer to understanding, that the ac side will work with shore power, or a optional generator, if I was going to call on that side of the panel, when I'm offshore fishing, and everything else would still be pulling off the battery from the dc side of the panel.
I'll figure it out as I go, Thanks for the advice, and Merry Christmas.
Glen

Correct. Some components, such as a dual voltage fridge, can work on both AC and DC. But most items are designed for one voltage or the other. A microwave, stove (electric element), for example, are designed for only AC.

Now, are you positive that you have an inverter? You probably (should) have a converter since you have shore power - although I don't know, yet, the ins and outs of Grady's (I have a lot of experience with cruisers and larger boats, though). A converter is also known as a battery charger, which would only function when you have shore power turned on.

IF you have an inverter (converts DC to AC), then you need to check what size it is and whether or not it will (1) power the stove and (2) for how long until you kill the batteries it's hooked up to. Which brings up another point (again, if you do have an inverter) - how many batteries is it hooked up to. Starting batteries? Hopefully not.

Now, in regards to "once I was hooked to shore power, everything should work on both sides of the panel"... Yes, that is correct. Again, though, assuming you have a converter (battery charger), both the AC and DC will work - as long as your battery switches are turned on. The AC-only items will function off the incoming AC voltage. The DC only items will function off your batteries and the battery charger will keep your batteries charged (or at least try to, depending on load).

Figuring out these types of systems can be a daunting task if you 're not used to this type of stuff. Ask away!

Merry Christmas!