Ac/heat

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Anyone know what model and brand a/c unit came with the 2008 305 Express?
I know I can call Grady but theyll be closed this weekend.
Thx in advance

dude23455

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thx in advance

the model and brand won't really matter. just match the btu size.
most smaller marine AC units are stand alone. they just require the power and water connection.
so if you had a dometic you could easily swap it out for a webasto or any other brand.

I work in marine AC and refrigeration so let me know if you have any questions.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
lol.. I am working on getting one set up also. I am liking the looks/price of the MarineAire. a hew hundred cheaper than Dometic and seems pretty much the same unit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Dometic was used during the mid 2000s.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yep, Marine Air is owned by Dometic, MarineAire is in Florida. I spoke with them yesterday.

Lots of confusion over that heh.

The Marine Air / Dometic are the same... and about 300 more than MarineAire.

That being said, the install "kit" for MarineAire is not as complete (and out of stock I think) vs the Dometic.. however.. not a huge deal heh.

R

teaklejr

Reaction score
Thx in advance

The model number is Dometic/Marine Air Systems VRD7K/2-GW, I pulled the fridge in our 305 express a few months ago to find out. Problem is with all of the newer models I looked at is they have the evaporator on the wrong side. On the 305 the evaporator is on the rear starboard side and the compressor is on the bow side, the newer models have the evaporator on the rear port side with compressor on the bow side. I see no way to use a newer unit without a modifications. My reason for checking into was I thought something was wrong with ours but it turned out to be the ambient air temp sensor which was right in front of the fresh air intake was causing it to cycle way to much. I just unplugged it and let the control temp sensor do the work. Hope this makes sense.

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
the model and brand won't really matter. just match the btu size.
most smaller marine AC units are stand alone. they just require the power and water connection.
so if you had a dometic you could easily swap it out for a webasto or any other brand.

I work in marine AC and refrigeration so let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you so much! That's really of you!

dude23455

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The model number is Dometic/Marine Air Systems VRD7K/2-GW, I pulled the fridge in our 305 express a few months ago to find out. Problem is with all of the newer models I looked at is they have the evaporator on the wrong side. On the 305 the evaporator is on the rear starboard side and the compressor is on the bow side, the newer models have the evaporator on the rear port side with compressor on the bow side. I see no way to use a newer unit without a modifications. My reason for checking into was I thought something was wrong with ours but it turned out to be the ambient air temp sensor which was right in front of the fresh air intake was causing it to cycle way to much. I just unplugged it and let the control temp sensor do the work. Hope this makes sense.
the location of the return air vent really doesn't matter in regards to the evap. as long as you can connect the blower to the register with flex duct it will work just fine.

I'm not familiar with the exact setup in your boat, but in general most marine AC just sit inside a cabinet that has a filter on the return vent. so it's not necessary to align to align the evap with the return vent as long as their is adequate space to allow for airflow to reach the evap.

I've attached an example.Screenshot_20210110-002857_Drive.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My 2014 305 has a Dometic, Not sure which model.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check out Webasto units - Defender carries them. A friend of mine did two units on his 38 Wellcraft. Tight fit installations.

One thing to consider is if the unit is in the bilge area (not inside cabin space) you are going to need to build a return duct. Air must be draw from the cabin to create negative pressure to get air to flow into the cabin from the supply side (blower).