AC turns on and shuts off after a few seconds

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
2005 Marlin, my AC will click on when I flip the switch but after a few seconds shuts itself off with No lights on the temp panel. Is there a reset switch somewhere?
thanks
Nick

rsgandy

Reaction score
check to see if there is water pumping through the water pump. If you have a water hose attachment try hooking it up see if that makes it run. I think this sounds like a bad water pump (or clogged pick up) which is not a bad repair. easy to do yourself.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks, the water pump is clear. It doesn't even try to turn on though because the thermostat shuts off after a couple seconds. This is why I thought maybe that water pump through a breaker or something and was telling the thermostat to shut off. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Nick

rsgandy

Reaction score
this is probably beyond my level, but I think I"d try to isolate the water-pump by maybe jumping it from one of the 110 outlets (use an extension cord ) .

noXcuse

Reaction score
Just guessing with my mechanical background, and without looking at it I would point towards either the pressure switch went bad, the condenser isn't getting cooled, or too much freon. If water isn't getting to the condenser, it will get hot and build up pressure. When that happens, the high pressure switch shuts the compressor off. If water IS cooling the condenser, then you'd need to look at the pressure switch itself or the freon. You'd have to put a set of gauges on it to check that.

rsgandy

Reaction score
thinking about this Nick make sure you are not in program mode. Press power and down at same time to remove program mode.