AC - worth it?

eric03tx

Reaction score
Wondering if AC is worth the cost on a 325 Freedom? Will predominately be used in Winter/Spring/Fall in Southwest Florida.

agoltz

Reaction score
We have a 2012 335 Freedom and had AC installed in (blows in cabin and bathroom). Use it occasionally in the summer when we are out in the heat. We dont have a generator - AC inverter plus very large house bank. Gives enough juice to barbQ and run the AC for 5 hours.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you have the generator, in FL I'd say yes. Here in the NE, I prob used the AC 15X. Really not needed but was on the boat when bought.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On my express, the AC runs all summer season and the heat in the fall. Is so nice to have a cool cabin on a hot day and a warm cabin on a cold morning in the fall. No sure how much this applies to a bow rider or dual console though.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Same area here. We use ours year round, although some nights in Winter season we do not after cold fronts move through and we have NW to NE winds for a few days post-passage. If you do opt for it, you'll notice that the cooler water temps during winter here, (65-75 degree spread) allows the unit to cool much more efficiently than in summer when water temps hit near 90. At that point, the A/C runs darn near constantly. (Remember, it takes raw water thru the circulating pump and water temp affects it's efficiency.)

During the hot months here, it's also important to select realistic set points on your digital thermostat. Toggle it down into the hi 60's, and the unit will keep shutting on-and-off to cool itself down. We run ours at 76-78 and that feels perfect when you step down into the cabin in the summer.

We don't fish; we just cruise and overnight. No A/C would have been a deal-breaker for us here in Fla. We consider it essential on our Marlin.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not sure i would do an AC on a DC here in the NE. :p

but from what i understand you guys deal with a lot of humidity and it may be worthwhile as a dehumidifier at the dock. or if the cabin area is a size you would use, then for that.

good luck, ron

but that said, if you are already installing the genset then i'd just go for it.