Access Hatch Cover Sealant

Hube

Reaction score
I'm going to be removing an aft hatch cover on my Tournament 225 to install a raw water washdown. Any advice on the sealant to use when I reinstall this hatch cover. Should I use 5200 or a high quality silicon sealant?

richie rich

Reaction score
If the sealant will be exposed to UV light, don't use 42 or 5200 or it will turn yellow....use Boat Life - "Life Seal" ....its a mix of silicone and polyurethane...good bonding, above and below the waterline, stays flexible and does not yellow. Second choice would be 3M 4000UV Polyether.

Bama96

Reaction score
The sealant Grady uses is GE Silicone in Almond color but I can't remember the number for the GE silicone. Don't use 5200 is permanent and a bitch to get off.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you can get the oem sealant (it has some series #) from gw, but the ge silicone II almond is supposed to be the end user equivalent. i used it and it is a perfect match. ron

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I used GE Silicone II in almond three years ago. The hatch is still secure, seal intact, and the color original. If you use 5200, don't plan on ever taking it up unless you want one hell of a job. 4200/4000UV isn't quite so bad, but not by much. You need a sealant, not an adhesive, so use something appropriate for the job ... :wink:

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I called Grady a couple of months ago when I needed to replace the sea cock pulls because the stainless had failed. I asked about resealing the deck plate. They said use the GE 2 Almond color. Worked like a charm. I used blue painter's tape and everything turned out well. Hardest part was getting all the old sealant off when I took out the deck. After you lay down the bead smooth it out once. Anything more will not give you an even caulk line.

Hube

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. Looks like the GE II sealant in Almond is the winner as a place to start. Ready to rip that hatch off and get to work on my washdown thru hull.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Dang..wished i would have known that. I used 5200 last summer to do some sealing around the access covers and fighting chair base. From the sounds of it I will have a job when it comes time to remove and replace them :? . Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the info guys.

HD

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Heavy Duty said:
Dang..wished i would have known that. I used 5200 last summer to do some sealing around the access covers and fighting chair base. From the sounds of it I will have a job when it comes time to remove and replace them :? . Oh well, live and learn.

HD

try AntiBond. it's supposed to work on 5200. ron

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
Heavy Duty said:

HD

try AntiBond. it's supposed to work on 5200. ron

Thanks.

I think during spring cleaning I'll take up all of the 5200 and used the GE stuff. I'll just make sure to have plenty of beverage hanging around for the job.

on another note and somewhat related..how do you guys keep wasp from setting up house? I had several nest this past summer with one down under the live well. What PITA to get to without getting the crap stung out of you.

Thanks again.

HD

greenhabah

Reaction score
I used GE Silicone II last year, but some of it yellowed over the summer.
Any ideas what I could have done wrong?
I'm doing the the back hatches this year and want a better result.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Green, I was talking to a detail guy and he said if the indentation on the caulk line is deep enough, go ahead and caulk over that. I asked him how should I deal with some mildew and discolored caulk on the deck lid covering the gas tanks. He said to forget pulling the old stuff out just caulk over it if the depression is deep enough to get a good line in. Haven't done it yet, but seems to make sense if there is no water instrusion issue and the new caulk is for cosmetic purpose.
Also, some people say to put some 20lb fishing line down under the caulk line or bed with a little bit sticking up so next time you just pull on the fishing line and the caulk rips.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ge Silicone came out with an outdoor series mildew and sun resitant sealant capable of handling higher temps in Almond (HomeDepot has it). the original GW sealant is GE SANITARY line of caulk, used mostly in Hospitals and moist humid areas of buildings. Ditto on the fishing line, I use 80 lb and tie loops at the ends tucked in behind a hatch.