Access to generator

Aweighallboats

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have 2005 33ft express..........I want to work on the generator........does that deck panel (under the aft seat) come off......Mine is secured my several screws........has anyone ever removed that deck panel to work on the generator............................

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, just pull that aft panel and you’ll have better access.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Most of the decks that have screws and caulk between pieces come up. You usually have to cut the caulk out around it as well as remove the screws.
Some deck designs have been improved on recent boats by design (even better).

Aweighallboats

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
thank you for your response.......after removing the deck screws......does that deck panel just sit on the lip on the vertical bulkhead behind the seat.....the previous owner applied sealant on the perimeter of the deck panel and up over on the lip...I assume he was trying to minimize water entering into the bilge.....have people put a hinge on that deck panel with different deck hardware to facilitate removing that deck panel easier instead of unscrewing the deck screws ..thank you in advance.............

HMBJack

Reaction score
thank you for your response.......after removing the deck screws......does that deck panel just sit on the lip on the vertical bulkhead behind the seat.....the previous owner applied sealant on the perimeter of the deck panel and up over on the lip...I assume he was trying to minimize water entering into the bilge.....have people put a hinge on that deck panel with different deck hardware to facilitate removing that deck panel easier instead of unscrewing the deck screws ..thank you in advance.............
"does that deck panel just sit on the lip on the vertical bulkhead behind the seat" >>> I think the answer to your question is yes. That vertical section ( sort of "L" shaped) simply slides into position there and the sides (2 or 3" on each side) should be caulked just like the horizontal areas between the panel and the deck.

GE Silicon II in Almond is a perfect color match (via your local Ace HW store).

And, FWIW, I personally prefer the caulked in panel (Vs. newer hinged ones) since they are more water proof and do not collect fish guts or blood in the crevices there. That area is by far the wettest area of your cockpit.

I only have to remove that deck panel at most once every two years for major service to my genset (water pump change). Having it caulked up and waterproof is a fair trade in my book to keep my bilge dry.

Lastly, as to the actual screws that secure that panel to the deck, I have had good results with high grade flat head SS machine screws that thread into rubber expansion nuts (underneath). This is better than the existing wood screws that go into the wood/fiberglass framing underneath. With this setup, you can re-use the expansion nuts many times.

Similar to this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chutch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes, It sits on a lip with some rubber to prevent noise should it move. Cut with a razor knife and work it a bit, you'll get it loose.
Newer GWs have been redesigned to allow some of the deck panels to be removed easily. I'd use GE Almond Silicone to seal after your done. Use masking tape on both sides, wet your finger and run it over the top and remove the tape before the caulk dries.