Add raw water inlet for livewell/washdown 89 Seafarer

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what location I should install a Thru-Hull on the bottom of my 89 Seafarer for livewell and washdown? I have a 228G and I have access the the rear bilge but that is within 12 inches of the center line, is that going to be ok? I also have my gas tank in the forward compartment and have the entire rear hatch area empty. If I install it in the rear hatch close to the rear bulkhead will that be to far forward? I would like to put it in there for access etc, that way I can pop open the inspection port if needed to shut off the seacock. (And I have plenty of room to work). Only issue with that is the wobble rollers may hit the strainer on the outside.

Any input would be great thanks for reading my ramble..

Ryan

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Within 12" of the centerline is fine. Just don't have it too far aft so you avoid "possible" turbulence issues to the engine. But even that should be minimal, at best, with a typical bronze scoop/strainer. As far as how far forward you can mount it -- take a look at your spray pattern off the side of the boat when you're running up on plane at a good clip and trimmed up. You'll likely see it about a 1/3 of the way forward of the transom. Closer to center, it's even further up. Stick within 6 or 7 feet of the transom and you'll have plenty of wiggle room.

Place the bronze scoop in a spot so a roller doesn't rest on it, but don't worry about rolling over it. Avoid it if you can, but don't worry too much about it if you can't avoid it. And, don't make the mistake of mounting the pump right to the thru-hull/seacock combo - it's MUCH preferred to go: Thru-hull then seacock then hose then pump then hose then deck fitting.