Adding a Battery

PA228G

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding an extra battery to the boat as a back-up for the bilge pumps since it's in a slip. I already have a starting and deep cycle on a 1-2-ALL but it seems having the extra battery can't hurt. I don't have an aux tank so I thought I'd mount it in a battery box under that hatch. Any issues with simply adding the battery and a Perko switch between it and my fuse panel? Electrical stuff isn't my strong suit - so any help/advice would be appreciated.

seabob4

Reaction score
Rather than adding an extra battery, why not install an onboard battery charger with a charger inlet, and plug in the charger whenever you leave the boat? Less weight, something you don't have to replace every 3-4 years, keeps your 2 batteries topped off, and keeps your bilge pump happy?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unless you run lights at night or need the extra battery when underway, I'd haver to agree that adding a battery charger would be a btter idea, it insures your batteries are topped off and charged at the dock . Adding a battery as you planned is not really the right way, plus you'd have to run your batteries in the all position to charge them all while underway, if you only turned your main battery that exists on, you would never use the a;lternator to charge the one you added, so then you'd have a worthless battery to power your pump. If you have access to shore power, go that route, this also allows you to run lights all night long at the dock without killing your batteries, this is handy when coming in late and needing to clean the boat or prep it before an early morning trip. Also gives you the ability to sit at the dock at night with lights on to socialize on the boat, if you run those lights without a charger, you will kill them or drain them a lot. You can go with a cheaper sharger like a guest, they work well for their price, you likely only need a simple charger without any fancy options and abilities like some would with larger boats. I'd recommend getting a charger that is bigger then what you really need to insure you have full batteries, a 5 or 10 amp charger is not worth it, I'd recommend a 15 or ideally 20 amp charger if you are going to spend the money.

PA228G

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I do have a charger - just hate to leave the shore power attached since there are (unfortunately) times I don't get to the boat for a week or 10 days, etc.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you have a permanently installed multistage battery charger operating directly on a shore power breaker panel circuit, it is OK to leave on when leaving the dock, if you have to.

It is not uncommon for folks to leave the frig and A/C on all summer including times when they are not there, not that I advocate such energy waisting practices, with emphasis, with the A/C.