Adding a chartplotter to my 226

Drifter80

Reaction score
I am adding a Raymarine A65 chartplotter to my boat. I have a raymarine depth/fish finder unit that I want to keep on my boat rather than replace it and have a split screen function on my chartplotter. The problem is helm space. My sonar is mounted along the centerline and if I mount the plotter in front of my helm it would block some vision if I'm sitting down. I have my VHF in the box on the helm and theres room but my plotter wouldnt fit in there.
I was wondering if any owners of mid 90s Seafarers could share some pictures of how they have their electronics laid out. I've seen a couple in the gallery but I was hoping there were more out there.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The design on the helms wasn't the greatest. I have my chartplotter mounted inside the "glove box" but plan on making changes. I've seen the modifications done by various members and while it does look pretty good using Starboard I think I've decided to try and make a flush mount panel that will replace the door to the box. My plan is to make a fiberglass panel the same size as the door and complete it with a gelcoat finish. I think this will give it a nicer look than using Starboard.

We're really limited on the size of electronics that will fit into this space.

I'm hoping to start on this project soon. It should be a big learning experience for me. :shock:

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here are some photos that I made today. The first picture is the before photo. Lots of glare on the chartplotter screen making it difficult to read. Not such a problem at night.

The one advantage that this setup gives is the "glove box" dry storage. Once this project is complete I'll think of some way to store things in the cabin.

DPP_000001-1.jpg

I've removed the smoked glass door from the hinges and cut a form board panel as a mock up. I think it looks better already. The hardware was removed from the door and I used it to trace the pattern onto the foam board. Keep in mind that the color of the foam board is white -- not what the final look will be.

DPP_000002-2.jpg

Now I've mounted my chartplotter onto the foam board and removed the hinge so everything will fit. The holes left where the hinge screws were will be filled and patched with Grady White gelcoat.

DPP_000003.jpg

I'm still unsure what I'll place on the right side of the panel. I have a backup VHF radio that isn't currently mounted that I may put there. The stereo is now located in the overhead electronics box and I've though about moving it down lower. I would also like to install a fuel management gauge and this might just be the best location for that.

As you can see I have an older chartplotter that I hope to replace within the next year.

I've never understood why GW hasn't redesigned the helm on these boats to accomodate the installation of modern electronics.

I'll keep posting photos of this project until I finish.

Seahunter

Reaction score
You have a 1995 so you have the same glove box configuration I have.
I flush mounted my previous GPS and the front of the glove box was too vertical and provided a poor viewing angle. I had to squat and lean back to be able to see the screen directly on.

When it came time to select a new GPS I selected one that would fit inside the enclosure. A Garmin 4208 fit inside the glove box with a little modification allowed itself to be tilted back to the perfect viewing angle. The smoke plexiglas door flips up high enough that it's not an issue when viewing the display. I like the fact that I can close and lock the box and the smoked plexiglas door hides the fact that I have a GPS display mounted in there.

I trailer a lot and this is where the old adage out of sight out of mind comes into play. I feel a lot better with the unit hidden away in a locked box rather than being on display for all to see when your boat is sitting in hotel parking lots or is left unattended in public places

dobson_c

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just bought a 2001 228 and am considering similar options. Unfortunately I won't take possesion of the boat until July - so could you please let me know what the dimesions on the helm box (inc. depth) and Strikezone - could you please let me know what the length and width dimensions are of the foan board you have fabricated.

I'm wondering if Lowrance HDS-8 or HDS-7 will fit into the helm box

Thanks

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dobson
I don't have the exact dimensions available to me at the moment but as I recall it is roughly 19.5" x 7.5"

I think you could fit a chartplotter/ff that is a little taller than 7.5" in this space since the panel will be pretty flush with the surrounding area.

Hope to have more pictures of the progress I'm making soon. I've got one more step of glassing before I start sanding and dry fit. After that I'll gelcoat and install. I'm hoping to be done within the week.

BTW, I used the foamcore board as the base for the panel and glassed over it.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just realized that you also asked for depth of the box dimensions. I don't have those handy but its at least a foot and probably closer to 15"