Adding a Cruising Anchor for 330 Express

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 330 came with a Standard Danforth 15lb Anchor. 15ft of chain and 300 ft of 5/8” twist line. A good lunch hook or fishing set up.
We plan on anchoring out over night in various areas like the Bahamas, the outer banks, and the Chesapeake. My parents were lifetime cruisers and they loved the plow type anchors. My favorite is the Rocna, but it won’t work in a Grady Pulpit. I decided on the 35lb Delta by Lewmar. It fits in the pulpit perfectly and pulls up tight to the windlass with 1” to spare.
If your going to swing on the hook over night. Bigger means a better nights sleep!FF8B728A-BB15-4784-9355-D5C15D0AA6B3.jpegBA903539-2825-4FF1-8377-5843C24D0383.jpeg

Last edited:

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
In a pinch, that style anchor can also be rigged for a quick release if you're anchoring on rocky bottom. I've had the same anchor on my last two boats and have been very happy.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
In a pinch, that style anchor can also be rigged for a quick release if you're anchoring on rocky bottom. I've had the same anchor on my last two boats and have been very happy.

Are you referring to adding an additional smaller line at the elbow hole?

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had a custom 27 lb SS grappling anchor for general use, including over-nighting in northern GOM - worked great.

Then I took the boat to the keys for a couple of years and anchor wouldn't hold at all in soft sand. I wound up getting a Mantus 33 lb (similiar to Rocna) anchor & had the same problem using the through pulpit mount on my Grady. I solved the problem by installing a Lewmar 66840007 Bow Roller on the pulpit. It fits directly in front of the pulpit opening and has a swivel function to assist the anchor in beginning it's free fall. The anchor is firmly secured, tight against the pulpit and is very easy to deploy.

I believe all anchors should be rigged with a quick release - this involves attaching the end of the anchor chain to the forward most part of the anchor and then attaching the chain along the anchor shaft using appropriate sized cord to secure the chain to the shaft - in normal use the anchor and chain will perform normally, but in the event the anchor gets hung up, the pressure on the cord caused by maneuvering the boat passed the anchor will break the cord and allow the anchor to be retrieved essentially by pulling it up backwards.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, using that forward hole is a good idea around rocks, coral and wrecks. We have used multiple very heavy duty zip ties connecting the chain to the end of the shank. Then as you said. Breaking them loose if the anchor gets stuck. I’ve never used that on my overnight anchor though.

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I attach the anchor chain to the hole at the top of the elbow using the shackle. I run the chain along the shaft and fasten the chain to the top hole on the shaft with a large zip tie, the kind used to secure air conditioning ducts. This break away rigging lets you pull it up from the elbow if it gets stuck in the rocks.

Reactions: usmm1234