Adding a Downrigger to a 232 Gulfstream

Finatic

Reaction score
I'm planning to add a Penn downrigger to my 232 Gulfstream this season when fishing for tuna and wahoo. I recently purchased a used downrigger that is equipped to the rod holder mount, this seems to be my perferred method since I would like to remove the downrigger when not in use. My question is do I need to add a backer plate to the gunnel rod holder that is going to receive the downrigger? Also, what's everyones opinion on using a downrigger ball vs z-wing?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
If you are going to run it aft, you are probably ok using a rod holder. If placing it abeam, I think you should reconsider using the rod holder. The pins in the rod holders will likely rip away if the arm is abeam with the stress on it. They make some nice swivel mounts that you can use, and I would suggest a backer plate. The downriggers come off the swivel mounts and all that is left is the square plastic plate.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Can't help you with the rod holder mount as I mounted my Penn 625 on a swivel base (dr is thus removeable and frees up a rod holder) on the port corner of my Gulfstream. No backing plate was needed as corner was close to 1 1/4" thick. I did use large ss fenders washers as backing as my 12lb ball pulls a lot of pressure (I also use it for tuna). I would think a plate would definitely be a good idea as I don't recall the gunnel being near that thick or having much room underneath...

BCLII

Reaction score
A don't know what abeam (location) means, but I'm running two cannon mag 10's electrics, one on each side of my 205. They are mounted on gimbal mounts and used in the rod holder. Ok so far, no extra backer plates either.