Adding a holding tank in a 1989 23 Gulfstream

dipthenet

Reaction score
Hello,

This is going to be my new favorite site!!!

Has anyone done this? I just purchased the boat and it has a head but unfortunatly pumps over the side. Just wondering if anyone ever added one. Also, is it common to have to replace fuel fill lines? Thanks for all the help.

gw204

Reaction score
Can help you with the head...

But on the fuel lines, if your's are original to the boat, you made it longer than most. The fill lines on my '93 Sailfish had to be replaced spring '08.

dipthenet

Reaction score
Head and fuel smell

Thanks. I plan on attacking the lines today. The whole reason I found them was the strong smell of fuel. It has an I/O, even when I open the engine box I could still smell it. So I went ahead and pulled the decking over the tanks. Still not sure why I am smelling it so bad, I couldnt find any leaks from the topside.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll take care of the head -

If you install a holding tank, you will still have to pump it out. Your head now must have a built in holding tank, like the sanipotti, is that what you have? Or is the potti all self contained, and you carry it off.

Check the Grady webiste for your year model catalog, and check the options list for "marine head", if one is offered, then there is room for the holding tank somewhere, typically 10 gals.

If you want to use a pump out facility, you don't need a holding tank, the pump out facility will suck out the sannipotti all the same, there should be a fitting in the base of the walkaround, for te connection, and a Y valve in your boat, to switch from macerator overboard to deck pumpout faciliy. 3 miles out minimum you can pump overboard by law.

ww.tanks.com, good place for any tanks you poly tanks you want, waste tanks come in a mess of sizes and shapes, more than you would imagine, fiitting location of your choice, nice pricing.

dipthenet

Reaction score
Bob,

I called Grady today. The guy I spoke to said that was not an option to have a holding tank. Oh well. I think I am going to pull the current one out that flushes over the side and just drop in a portipotti. I wish I didnt have to, but I cannot pump out direct in the great lakes. Thanks for the info.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Then you can get the self contained sanipottti, they make two sizes one with twice the size holding tank, a little taller. Very inexpensive.

Then just carry it off, like a suitcase.

They work very well, the bellows pump is a replacement part every couple of years depending how often you use it.