Adding a live well and insulating the fish box

Jeff4741

Reaction score
I am investigating adding an additional live well to my 2004 Marlin. Looking for suggestions and experiences regarding brand, location, plumbing, etc. I am thinking about a 30 gallon quick-release bolted well to the portside of the transom and plumbed in through the salwater washdown. If I can avoid drilling another through-hull for drainage that would be preferable. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated?

Also, for the fish box, any experiences or suggestions how to insulate this to conserve ice?

Thanks.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used to use a pickle barrel and would screw the washdown hose to a fitting at the bottom of the barrel.Then I had a 4ft long 2 1/2 inch hose at the top of the barrel where the water would drain right over the side of the boat. One advantage to this type of barrel is it came with a screw on lid that would limit splashing while underway.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Regarding your insulation:

Look in the Yellow Pages or google for insulation or roofing contractors that do spray polyurethane foam insulation. Bring the box to them and have them spray it with an inch or more of foam. You want the 2 lb. density (or greater), closed cell foam which is similar to what boat manufactures use for floatation and insulation.

You should tape and protect anything you do not want foam on, like the interior of the box or the rim and any hose fittings. Be prepared to have to grind down any high spots or rough foam to get it to fit where you want it. Even with tape, the cleanup will take some time.

It costs a couple of hundred dollars to just start and warm a foam rig so try to bring it to him and leave it so he can do it at his convenience when he is already going to start the rig for a job.

I have done a few of these for various shrimpers and recreational boaters and have charged from nothing to $4000 depending on how nice the person is and how much foam is needed.

The foam you buy in a can is not sufficient for what you want to do and it might cost more by the time you buy enough cans.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any further help.

Ed