Adding a Saltwater Washdown to a 228

MixinItUp

Reaction score
I am considering adding a Shurflo 4 GPM raw water washdown to my 2001 228 Seafarer, which did not come with saltwater washdown. I would like to avoid boring another hole for the additional pickup and have thought about "t"ing off of the livewell line between the value and the pump. Does anyone have experience with adding a washdown system to a 228?

Thanks for the input,
Padgett

seasick

Reaction score
MixinItUp said:
I am considering adding a Shurflo 4 GPM raw water washdown to my 2001 228 Seafarer, which did not come with saltwater washdown. I would like to avoid boring another hole for the additional pickup and have thought about "t"ing off of the livewell line between the value and the pump. Does anyone have experience with adding a washdown system to a 228?

Thanks for the input,
Padgett

This a fairly common modification. There are two approaches: One using a Y valve. You have to select which system you want to use, Simple but a pain and you can't run both at the same time.
The second is using a T connection. You have to install at least one check valve between the livewell pump and the T. If not, the washdown will pump from the livewell (air). You may want to use a check valve for each system so that the livewell doesn't pump through the washdown also ( but only when the livewell is pumping and you use the washdown.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you want to use both at the same time, consider upgrading valve and thru hull to 1 inch size.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've been using one of these full flow Y valves in my boat for a few years now, works perfect. Designed for city water pressure so it's strong enough. Can get one in Lowes, also pick up two garden hose female adapters that connect to your 3/4 inch SW hose, and one male same size. The setup cost me less than 18 bucks.

The original Y valve in my boat is about 60 bucks to replace with an OEM design.

If you use this design be sure its the full flow (larger) model, not the smaller ones found all over the place like at the Depot and Ace, only Lowes had the larger one in metal and plastic, the alloy metal is no good with sw.

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/full-flow-y ... 2ffdb.html

greenhabah

Reaction score
Just installed a new livewell pump this year. It came with a port to connect to a washdown pump. I have mine capped but would be an easy way to hook it up.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
greenhabah said:
Just installed a new livewell pump this year. It came with a port to connect to a washdown pump. I have mine capped but would be an easy way to hook it up.

X2.
I was going to suggest checking for a port on your existing pump. That's how many are done.
I haven't hooked one up yet, but I have a bulkhead bib mounted on the bulkhead opposite the live-well connection:

DSC00445.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey CBrown, do the rodholders shown in your picture have gimbal pins? I have the set of 4 plastic holders in front of the baitwell on my 228 and would like to replace the cheesy plastic ones with stainless. I would like to run a couple of flat-lines from these holders but have been concerned about the plastic ones shattering when I have a strike.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, they do. But I didn't know that was what they were for! Wow!

By suggestion of the fellow I bought my boat from, the holders were installed so you wouldn't/couldn't get close enough to the bibs below to bung your ankles. They have worked out famously as the four holders in the gunnels aren't nearly enough. If I'm fishing a side I don't want a spare rod sitting in the holder there anyway, so these ones at the rear work out great.

They are also handy for standing a rod while fishing out a bait from the tank. The pads on the floor are the Kodiak mounts for a 32gal oblong. It is only mounted up when we are actually fishing, the outflow goes over the motorwell. The pump is connected to the starboard hose bib, and is mounted on a bronze thru-hull. A new ShurFlo bait sentry 800gpm works really well, albiet a bit noisy. We've held 'dines, anchovies, and squid.

I would have to go look up the reciept to recall where they came from, were about $50 each. Let me now if you need a source.

bc282

Reaction score
Not sure if it's assumed, but get a pump that has a pressure switch sensor.
You can leave the pump switched in the 'on' position and pump will only activate when you pull the trigger on the nozzle. Makes using the pump more convenient.
Not sure how this would work with the tapping into the live well line.