Adding a Tower to a Marlin

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience adding a tower to a Marlin?

Mine is an 04. Wondering, good vendors, and how does it affect the characteristics of the boat, including stability, ride quality, performance and economy.

Thanks-

jehines3

Reaction score
I just took mine off. I hated everything about it. Being on the bay it was no good to me anyway. I picked up about 2knts and 4gph at cruise without it. It makse the boat very unstable in a quartering sea and added allot of bow steer. I had contemplated selling mine, but probably will just keep it with the boat. I do however love my hardtop ladder and it is staying put.

If I had any suggestion at all is keep the weight and windage down. This is a very expensive project as it is costing me a ton to undo/rewire all the tower mods. (anchor light, VHF antenna, gps antenna, etc). I can send you pics of mine if you want ideas. I can tell you there was ALLOT of bracing added to the factory Grady pipe work. The pipework bases were all added onto to help distribute load. Good luck. jh

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Crockers had a Marlin with a tower back in the early 90s. You may want to check with them. You will likely need a new custom top as well since the factory top was not designed for that much weight.
(910) 256-3661

jehines3

Reaction score
To add to what mega said. When on my tower you do not stand on the hardtop. The tie ins for the tower land direct over pipework and there is a platform that you stand on as part of the tower assembly. I've stood on my hardtop and it is pretty solid, but not for all the weight of the tower plus person. The tower needs to extend all the way to the hardtop supports and mine were beefed up. Mine probably weighs in at about 150-200lbs. If I took just the helm box off it would probably shed some serious weight, it only had a compass and no upper controls.

I'll try and remember to take some pics and post.

jehines3

Reaction score
These pics may not be that great as they are from when I bought the boat. I'll try and get better shots of the mounts if you are still serious about this project.

1990GradyWhiteMarlin28002.jpg

1990GradyWhiteMarlin28003.jpg

PortSideStern.jpg

SternandMotors.jpg

MiMarlin

Reaction score
look in the for sale/wanted forum. on page 2 marlin for sale under trident. nice looking redman tower.

tiderunner

Reaction score
I love mine . I dont have many pics of the mounts for it but I can take pics for you if you would want it .

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tide-
Do you think it affects the ride and roll a significant amount?
Thanks-

tiderunner

Reaction score
Tide-
Do you think it affects the ride and roll a significant amount?
Thanks-

Capt. Armchair,

I do not know it came with the boat. I also have never been out on any other Marlin to noice any differance.

However I do notice that when on ancor ( alone with no other boats rafted up) the boat swings back and forth more than any other boat around. I dont know if this is a typical thing for the boat or not. Neither do I care.

I do like my ladder options better than the other ones that I have seen on this site. The tower is plenty strong I have had 575lbs + up there with my two friends who like to eat and drink alot. The tower was installed by a place out of RI . There is sticker on it that has their name. Next time I am there I will get it for you.

You are more than welcome to come out for a sea trial. Launching is on Sat.

jehines3

Reaction score
Tide runners ladder set-up is much nicer and looks much more incorporated in the overall design of the tower. Except his entire hardtop set-up does not look like a factory set-up, so I'm not sure how much was replaced to get to that nice a job. As for the pitch and roll at anchor, the boat is slightly improved, but the lee sr's swinging in the breeze don't help to completely change the roll after tower removal. Mine was definitly a low to mid end aftermarket job. I'm glad since it was far easier to remove than something that was welded or renovated the factory pipework. I would suggest taking a ride with tiderunner if you can just to gauge the new ride. I seriously felt like I went form a trawler to a sportboat in one day. Your signature does not say where you are at, but if your in the MD area and want to take a look at mine and some suggestions I'd make let me know. Good luck in your analysis and decision.

bhemi

Reaction score
re:tower

Make sure you get one that spreads the load around evenly. I had a tower on my Marlin and tossed it out as there is no need for one in the Northwest. The weight caused a lot of little spider cracks in the deck gelcoat but no deck softness. I think it's just too much weight.

Trident

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a 2004 300 Marlin with a tower on it (boat is for sale). The tower was fabricated by Redman Marine Fabricators in York, Maine.

234.jpg

237.jpg

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses guys.

I am in Stuart Florida, so MD is a bit of a hike, although we may rent a plce on the Chessie this summer, so maybe I will give you a shout.