Adding cleats to a 1994 Tournament 192?

Fathead.Low

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used '94 Tournament 192. Given the hull shape, the bow cleats are useless for attaching a bumper. I'd like to add an additional set of cleats a little farther back and wondered if anyone had any advise as to location. Also, I plan to use a piece of starboard as backing under the gunwale. Is this strong enough or do I need to use a piece of aluminum or stainless for support?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you need actual cleats, or would simple fender locks do the job for you?

But you can add them wherever you want to - generally, just before the hull side starts to "curve in". Check underneath the gunwale for how thick that are already is. If you use starboard, you'll still want some large fender washers or an aluminum/SS plate.

While it won't add much strength because it won't stick real well to the starboard, this is a good use for something like 3M 5200 (which should generally be used EXTREMELY sparingly)... Use it to take up any irregularities in the underside of the gunwale between it and the starboard. Let it dry for a week. Then finish the install. If there is wood in the gunwale, best practice is to overdrill, fill with epoxy, then redrill the proper size hole for the bolts.

mboyatt

Reaction score
I have your exact Grady, '94 Tournament 192. I did this project within a year of purchasing the boat. For location, Google search for 19 ft Grady White Freedom photos. Copy the location on the newer Freedom model, which is identical (pretty much) to what we have. I just eye balled the location and it came out great. I am going from memory, but I think i installed just past the mid point of each side window. Again, just use a photo from the 19 Freedom and eye ball it on the first side, then measure and duplicate it on the other side of the hull. Regarding hardware, I spent the extra money to purchase nice cleats with metal backing plates. Can't recall if they were 6 or 8 inch, but I can measure if you need to know. The only tip is to make sure you are clear of rigging up underneath. This should only be a concern on the starboard side, but check each side anyway. I sealed mine with 4200. Easy project. Take your time, mark and measure 2 times before drilling- like carpentry. And good luck!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another way to hang fenders without drilling holes etc is to use the rod holders, as you do not use them at the same time when docking. Cut a 18 inch length of pvc diameter to slide down inside the rod holder. Glue on a cap. Drill a hole the cap to accept the line from your fender. Tie a not once it is fed through to keep the fender in place. then slide the pvc into the rod holder. The rod holders are spaced about right to give you good spacing with the fenders. Yes a poor mans fix but it worked for me when I had a boat that would not accept anymore cleats on the gunnels. That is my 2 bits for this week. Cheers, trapper